Do you love to use air freshener? It smells great, but can be bad for your health. Learn to make all-natural homemade air freshener that will leave your home smelling sweet.
This post uses affiliate links. They don’t cost you a thing and help us bring you green cleaning tutorials. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
I love a fresh smelling room and used to be a store-bought room freshener addict. A quick spritz after cooking a meal, before company came over, or as a last step to housecleaning made me feel like my home was clean and fresh. I was spraying it ALL THE TIME…
Until I began to learn more about the toxic chemicals in many household products. I checked out my favorite Febreze’s ratings on the Environmental Working Group consumer guide and found out that most of their products score a D or F for “significant hazards to health or the environment.”
I was shocked to find out what was I spraying around my home and decided to never use commercial air freshener.
Dangerous Homemade Alternatives
Online recipes for homemade fresheners usually contain a dangerous mixture of fabric softener and water. This mixture replaces one health hazard with another health hazard!
Both commercial air freshener and homemade air freshener with fabric softener can:
- Act as hormone disruptors.
- Cause asthma to develop in healthy people.
- Cause cancer in humans.
How to Make Room Freshener with Essential Oils
The best homemade room refresher is simple: water, vodka, and essential oils.
- It leaves no scent when used in natural cleaners.
- It leaves no residue (like the baking soda found in some homemade refresher sprays).
- It is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal, and it’s a natural deodorizer.
- Alcohol emulsifies essential oils into an evenly diluted spray that does not need shaking.
- Cheap generic vodka cleans as well as more expensive brands.
Homemade Air Freshener Recipe
Mix together in a glass spray bottle mix:
- 1 cup distilled water
- ½ cup vodka (use a bottom shelf, cheap version)
- 10 drops to ½ tsp. essential oil of your choice
Shake to combine.
Room Freshener Scent Combinations
Start with 5-10 drops of essential oil and add more until the desired level of scent is reached. My favorite scent combinations:
- Zen Spa – 10 drops eucalyptus essential oil, 5 drops lavender essential oil
- Sleepy Time/Relaxation – 10 drops lavender essential oil, 5 drops vanilla essential oil
- Floral Dream – 8 drops ylang ylang or lavender essential oil, 8 drops jasmine essential oil
Free Printable Labels
Like my green cleaning tips? Sign up for my newsletter and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!