This easy Deodorizing Powder DIY will stop your feet and shoes from stinking, by eliminating the bacteria that causes the smell and creating an environment that prevents their growth.
This post uses affiliate links. They don’t cost you a thing and help us bring you creative projects. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
Do you have stinky feet or smelly shoes at your house?
Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone…
But I will ll let you in on a little secret…
Several members of the Bren Did family have very sweaty toes. Open the wrong closet and you will be over powered by the foot odor that is cause by those cute little piggies!
Why Feet Smell
Foot odor is caused by warm, sweaty toes and the bacteria that love them. The bacteria grow in the warm, damp environment created by your feet in shoes and continue to flourish in the closet.
(This warm, damp environment is also the perfect place for Athlete’s Foot to grow, if you have this problem check out my post to learn How I Naturally Treat Athlete’s Foot).
Curing Smelly Feet
It’s pretty easy to eliminate foot smell once you know the cause. To stop your feet and shoes from stinking, you need to kill the bacteria that causes the smell and create an environment that prevents their growth.
I have found three effective and all-natural ways to get rid of foot odor:
- No More Stinky Feet Spray
- Cooling Foot & Leg Butter
- This all-natural Cooling Foot and Shoe Deodorizing Powder
How Foot and Shoe Powder Works
This cooling foot powder contains three natural ingredients that work together to eliminate stinky feet:
1. Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) is an effective foot and shoe deodorizer because of its basicity. Baking soda is fungistatic, this means that fungal and bacterial spores will not germinate (grow) when the alkaline baking soda is present. Sweat is acidic and is neutralized by the alkaline baking soda.
2. Corn Starch (or Arrowroot Powder) is a highly absorbent powder that absorbs any moisture your sweat leaves. Human perspiration is 99% water! A dry environment is much less friendly to bacteria and fungus.
3. 100% Essential Oils
- Tea Tree Oil is both antibacterial and antifungal, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
- Eucalyptus Oil has a fresh and clean aroma and has been used as both an antiseptic and antifungal, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Peppermint Oil smells great, may have some bacteria-killing properties, and its main active agent is menthol, so it is soothing and cooling when applied to the skin and/or skin irritations.
Foot and Shoe Powder Directions
To make the foot spray simply mix the following ingredients together in a glass shaker jar ( I use this shaker jar) :
- 6 tbsp Corn Starch or Arrowroot Powder
- 3 tbsp Baking Soda
- 5-10 drops Tea Tree Oil
- 5 -10 drops Eucalyptus Oil
- 10-15 drops Peppermint Oil
How to Use
Apply powder to feet and in between toes. Sprinkle into shoes to eliminate odor (leave it in overnight or longer). I keep a shaker of footpowder in our shoe closet and sprinkle it in shoes when necessary.
The powder feels heavenly on hot or tired feet. Shake your shoes out the door or over the trash can before putting them on.
Foot and Shoe Powder Cost
My Cooling Foot and Shoe Deodorizing Powder costs about $0.98 for 1/2 of a cup. That’s about $0.08 for the baking soda, $0.40 for the corn starch, and approximately $0.50 for the essential oils.
A similar natural foot powder costs $14.49 for 4 ounces. You’re saving more than $12 by making your own all-natural foot powder, and you know exactly what it contains!
I hope this powder keeps your feet cool and shoes smelling sweet.
Looking for more solutions? These natural foot care tutorials will keep your feet and shoes smelling and feeling great all year long. Try Cooling Foot and Shoe Deodorizing Powder, No More Stinky Feet Spray, Bubbling Foot Scrub, and more!
Like my natural bath and beauty tutorials? Sign up for my newsletter below.
Check out my Natural Carpet and Room Refresher recipe to learn how to use baking soda and cornstarch to clean and deodorize, it works great!