Easy apple oatmeal scones are a tasty breakfast treat. Made with oatmeal, coconut oil, and diced apple they taste delicious and are still much healthier than your average baked scone.
Scones are one of my favorite items to bake. They make an excellent addition to coffee dates, are an easy breakfast, or a delicious after school snack for kids.
I love quick recipes and luckily scones are very easy to make! They require no special appliances, you don’t have to sift flour, and you can shape them right on the baking pan. What could be better than a delicious bakery treat with minimal clean-up?
How to Bake Healthy Scones
One reason I love baking from scratch is that I know EXACTLY what is going into our food. Baking at home can help you avoid many of the artificial ingredients in store-bought products such as artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, and unnecessary preservatives.
I also love baking at home because I can adapt recipes to be healthier. Switching out a few ingredients can make your home cooked goodies an even better choice for your loved ones… without sacrificing flavor.
Easy Apple Oatmeal Scones Recipe
For this scone recipe I made a few health-conscious changes:
- This recipe replaces flour with toasted oats. They add a rich nutty flavor and whole grains.
- This recipe uses coconut oil and yogurt instead of butter. The coconut oil preserves the flakey, biscuit-like quality of the scones while the yogurt keeps them moist and tender.
- This recipe uses honey instead of refined sugar. Honey is sweeter than refined sugar so you can use less. Plus, the diced apple in the dough adds to the sweetness.
Easy apple cinnamon scones are a tasty breakfast treat. Made with oatmeal, coconut oil, and diced apple they taste delicious and are still much healthier than your average baked scone.
- 2 cups unbleached (all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (toasted and ground, reserve 2 tbsp unground for topping)
- 1/2 –1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 apples peeled and diced (approx, 1 1/2 cups of 1/8 inch cubes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, line baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle evenly with 2 cups of old-fashioned oats. Place oats in oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Place oats (reserving 2 Tbsp) into food processor or blender and grind into rough flour.
- Mix flour, ground oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl.
- Add coconut oil and mix into dry mixture until it is blended into dry mixture (pieces should look like rough cornmeal).
- Combine yogurt, honey, milk and apple pieces; stir until dry ingredients until comes together. Do not over mix!
- Turn dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet and pat into a 12x9x1 inch rectangle (about 1 inch thick).
- Sprinkle oats onto dough and press lightly to adhere to dough. Score dough into 16 pieces (4 rows of 4 scones).
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice through score marks to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 7.4
- Fat: 8.4
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Protein: 4.7
Keywords: easy apple oatmeal scones
More Healthy Recipes
Love healthy baking? Try these easy recipes:
Have you ever made scones? What flavor is your favorite?
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!