Easy apple cinnamon scones are a tasty breakfast treat. Made with oatmeal, coconut oil, and diced apple they taste delicious and are still much healthier than your average baked scone.
- 2 cups unbleached (all-purpose flour)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (toasted and ground, reserve 2 tbsp unground for topping)
- 1/2 –1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil (room temperature)
- 4 tbsp plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 apples peeled and diced (approx, 1 1/2 cups of 1/8 inch cubes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, line baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle evenly with 2 cups of old-fashioned oats. Place oats in oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Place oats (reserving 2 Tbsp) into food processor or blender and grind into rough flour.
- Mix flour, ground oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl.
- Add coconut oil and mix into dry mixture until it is blended into dry mixture (pieces should look like rough cornmeal).
- Combine yogurt, honey, milk and apple pieces; stir until dry ingredients until comes together. Do not over mix!
- Turn dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet and pat into a 12x9x1 inch rectangle (about 1 inch thick).
- Sprinkle oats onto dough and press lightly to adhere to dough. Score dough into 16 pieces (4 rows of 4 scones).
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice through score marks to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 205
- Sugar: 7.4
- Fat: 8.4
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Protein: 4.7
Keywords: easy apple oatmeal scones