The slower cooker (crock pot) is an amazing tool that transforms inexpensive, tough cuts of meat into tender, delicious meals. The secret is in the cooking method –> braising! Braising is cooking by simmering meat in a small amount of liquid for a LONG time at a LOW temperature.
This recipe does not require any pre-cooking, slicing or dicing, all you have to do is put your ingredients in the crock pot, turn it on and forget it until dinner time. It’s a cinch!
The beef is slowly braised in a Worcestershire and chili flavored liquid that includes both milk and vinegar to tendering the meat
How to Cook Beef in a Crock Pot or Slow Cooker
Tough cuts of beef shred easily when the inner temperature slowly reaches 205-210F. Slow cookers have two settings: low (approximately 200F) and high (approximately 300F). Cooking beef in the crock pot on LOWallows the beef to stay in the “simmer” range, between 190 to 212F, slowly braising until it can be shredded.
You’ll want a tougher cut of beef for this recipe: look for chuck roast , rump roast, bottom round roast, brisket or flank steak. Purchase 3 to 4 ounces for each person you serve. This recipe freezes well so buy extra if you want to leftovers, I make a big batch and freeze several servings. It’s a simple way to stock your freezer with no effort!
The crock pot is an amazing tool that can be used to transform inexpensive, tough cuts of meat into tender, delicious meals. This recipe does not require any precooking, slicing or dicing. Put your ingredients in the crock pot, turn it on and forget it until dinner time. It’s a cinch! The beef slowly braises in a Worcestershire and chili flavored liquid and is then shredded into tended beef sandwiches.
Place meat in crockpot, season with salt and pepper.
- 3 lb chuck roast (rump roast, bottom round roast, brisket or flank steak)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Combine braising ingredients and pour over meat.
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 T white vinegar
- 3 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t chili powder
Drain liquid, shred meat, and bbq sauce before serving.
- 16–24 ounces of barbecue sauce
- Rolls for serving
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper, coating all sides. Place in crock pot. If one side of the meat is fatty place it fat side down.
- Prep the braising liquid by combining all remaining ingredients (except bbq sauce).
- Pour the braising mixture over beef.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on the low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours. Stick a fork in the beef, it should turn easily and separate/shred the beef. The beef should easily fall to pieces, if the meat is hard to shred it needs to cook longer.
- Remove the beef from the crock pot and place on a cutting board (place the cutting board on a rimmed baking sheet to keep the beef juices from running onto your counters).
- Discard the cooking liquid and rinse out the crock pot.
- Trim any visible fat from the beef, slice into 2-inch thick slices and shred the beef (use two forks to pull the strands apart).
- Return shredded beef to crock pot and stir in BBQ sauce.
- Serve on fresh rolls.
- Freeze leftovers in an airtight container for an easy heat and serve dinner.
- Calories: 177
Keywords: slow-cooker braised beef barbecue
I hope you try this delicious and easy slower cooker recipe! It’s a favorite with my family.
More Easy Crock Pot Recipes
Try these other easy crock pot recipes that are sure to please your loved ones:
Like my easy crock pot recipes? Sign up for my free newsletter and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!