The crock pot is an amazing tool that can be used to transform inexpensive, tough cuts of meat into tender, delicious meals. This recipe does not require any precooking, slicing or dicing. Put your ingredients in the crock pot, turn it on and forget it until dinner time. It’s a cinch! The beef slowly braises in a Worcestershire and chili flavored liquid and is then shredded into tended beef sandwiches.
Place meat in crockpot, season with salt and pepper.
- 3 lb chuck roast (rump roast, bottom round roast, brisket or flank steak)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Combine braising ingredients and pour over meat.
- 1/4 c water
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 T white vinegar
- 3 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 t chili powder
Drain liquid, shred meat, and bbq sauce before serving.
- 16–24 ounces of barbecue sauce
- Rolls for serving
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper, coating all sides. Place in crock pot. If one side of the meat is fatty place it fat side down.
- Prep the braising liquid by combining all remaining ingredients (except bbq sauce).
- Pour the braising mixture over beef.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on the low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours. Stick a fork in the beef, it should turn easily and separate/shred the beef. The beef should easily fall to pieces, if the meat is hard to shred it needs to cook longer.
- Remove the beef from the crock pot and place on a cutting board (place the cutting board on a rimmed baking sheet to keep the beef juices from running onto your counters).
- Discard the cooking liquid and rinse out the crock pot.
- Trim any visible fat from the beef, slice into 2-inch thick slices and shred the beef (use two forks to pull the strands apart).
- Return shredded beef to crock pot and stir in BBQ sauce.
- Serve on fresh rolls.
- Freeze leftovers in an airtight container for an easy heat and serve dinner.
- Calories: 177
Keywords: slow-cooker braised beef barbecue