Looking for a healthier junk food treat? Try this easy recipe for homemade soft pretzel bites. They are delicious!
I’m All-American when it comes to junk food → I love the classic salty, tasty treats that are traditionally served at baseball ball parks and carnivals.
My favorite is soft pretzels with cheese sauce.
Healthier Junk Food
My mind and my stomach don’t agree on junk food indulgences. My stomach says “Yes, yes, yes” while my mind says “Oh no you don’t!”
I’ve come up with a mind and stomach compromise: I make my own junk food.
Making your own “junk” food means YOU control the ingredients.. none of the excess fat, sugar, and artificial ingredients in most commercial junk food.
Soft Pretzel Bites
Our family love soft pretzels… pillows of soft, chewy dough with just enough salt to tempt your taste buds.
These better-for-you treats are also much easier on the wallet. (One order of pretzel bites at our local movie theater is $6.75, this recipe makes three times as much for less than a third of the price!)
I love serve soft pretzels with chunks of cheese, sliced apples and our favorite vegetable tray. It’s a fun weekend dinner that indulges junk food cravings in a healthy way.Print
Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites are a favorite indulgence : tiny pillows of salty, soft, chewy dough that tempt your taste buds. Make them at home for better-for-you treats that are also easier on the wallet.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tbsp kosher salt or coarse sea salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted (optional)
- In a large stand mixer bowl combine ¼ cup warm water with yeast and stir to dissolve. Stir in remaining warm water and honey.
- Gradually add flour (1/2 cup at a time) and table salt until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and it forms a firm ball (depending on humidity you may not need all the flour).
- Knead dough with hook for about 3 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pan and carefully stir in baking soda. The water will foam as the baking soda is added.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut dough into 4 evenly sized pieces.
- Roll each section into ½ inch thick rope. Slice into 1 inch pieces (about 60).
- Place 1 inch pieces into boiling water about 15 at a time, boil for 45 seconds.
- Use slotted spoon to remove pretzels from water and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt while damp. Continue until all pretzel bites are done.
- Bake one sheet of pretzels at a time for 5 minutes, rotate cookie sheet & bake for 3 minutes longer or until pretzel bites are dark golden brown in color.)
- Brush with melted butter, if desired. Serve warm with cheese sauce, mustard or plain.
- Serving Size: 10 pretzel bites
- Calories: 215
Keywords: homemade soft pretzel bites, homemade pretzels, soft pretzels
I hope you try my recipe for homemade soft pretzel bites. It is a fun recipe to make with your family or friends.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my free newsletter below and never miss a thing!