Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites are a favorite indulgence : tiny pillows of salty, soft, chewy dough that tempt your taste buds. Make them at home for better-for-you treats that are also easier on the wallet.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tbsp kosher salt or coarse sea salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted (optional)
- In a large stand mixer bowl combine ¼ cup warm water with yeast and stir to dissolve. Stir in remaining warm water and honey.
- Gradually add flour (1/2 cup at a time) and table salt until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and it forms a firm ball (depending on humidity you may not need all the flour).
- Knead dough with hook for about 3 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pan and carefully stir in baking soda. The water will foam as the baking soda is added.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut dough into 4 evenly sized pieces.
- Roll each section into ½ inch thick rope. Slice into 1 inch pieces (about 60).
- Place 1 inch pieces into boiling water about 15 at a time, boil for 45 seconds.
- Use slotted spoon to remove pretzels from water and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt while damp. Continue until all pretzel bites are done.
- Bake one sheet of pretzels at a time for 5 minutes, rotate cookie sheet & bake for 3 minutes longer or until pretzel bites are dark golden brown in color.)
- Brush with melted butter, if desired. Serve warm with cheese sauce, mustard or plain.
- Serving Size: 10 pretzel bites
- Calories: 215
Keywords: homemade soft pretzel bites, homemade pretzels, soft pretzels