One simple trick will get everyone in your family to eat more vegetables! Learn the easy healthy eating tip that works for both kids and adults!
Healthy Eating for Kids
How much attention do you pay to the food pyramid? I’ll admit it’s not the top priority in our house.
I try to get my family to eat lots of healthy food including raw fruits and vegetables, but it’s hard to get 5-7 servings of vegetables into children each day.
Heck, I love vegetables and it’s hard to get 5-7 servings into me!
The Secret Tip to Eat More Vegetables
I discovered one SUPER EASY way to make sure we eat more vegetables.
- When you come home from the grocery store or farmer’s market, clean and chop your vegetables then assemble a big vegetable tray that will last all week.
- Use all your favorite vegetables and replenish as needed. (I always need to add extra cucumbers midweek.)
- Keep the tray in your fridge and pull it out at every meal and snack.
- Set the tray on the counter as you pack school lunches.
It’s an incredibly simple healthy eating tip!
Why this Trick Works
The easy availability of healthy vegetables makes everyone reach for more.
You don’t have to think about what to eat, you don’t have to see what’s in the vegetable drawer, you don’t have wash and peel anything.
Just open and dig in.
Healthy Lunches are a Snap!
The always-ready vegetable tray makes it easy to pack healthy lunches!
I don’t have to peel and cut up vegetables every morning, I simply grab the vegetable tray and let the kids pick their favorite.
It’s also a healthy snack assistant; I let the kids pick one “desired” item such as crackers or a granola bar and then pull out the vegetables to round out the snack.
We’ve been making veggie trays for more than 23 years and we are sold. (We started making them when my husband and I were first married and packed our lunches for work.)
On weeks I forgo the veggie tray we eat fewer vegetables. This fact alone keeps me in the habit of making vegetable trays.
I make one each week and refill the vegetables as they run out.
I serve our veggie tray with healthy vegetable dips like homemade hummus and Greek yogurt ranch dressing dip. It’s an easy ranch dressing recipe that does not include MSG or tons of sodium (like the store-bought version).
There is something about dipping that kids love!Print
Easy Ranch Dressing and Dip Recipe
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/8–1/4 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried onion flakes, crushed (or use extra onion powder)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried chives, crushed
- Combine all ingredients and let chill for several hours. I like to use a blender to get all the ingredients finely crushed (like “real” ranch dressing). If you like a thinner dip, or would like to make this recipe into salad dressing add 1/2 cup milk.
- Calories: 47
Keywords: easy ranch dressing
Tip: I occasionally add a new or unusual vegetable (or unpopular choice) to our vegetable tray to expand our kids’ menu. The easy availability (and healthy veggie dip) encourages them to try the new item and they sometimes decide they even like something “new”!