Pear sauce and pear leather are easy pear recipes to make with fresh pears. Pear sauce freezes and cans well. Pear leather is a great sugar free snack. They are the perfect use for extra pears… lots of extra pears!
I recently ordered Washington state Bartlett pears with my food co-operative order. They arrived fresh and delicious…. all 38 lbs of them!
Seriously, 38 pounds of pears! I was delighted with the bargain, they only cost $21.00, but a bit intimidated by the volume.
Have you ever participated in a food co-operative? A food co-operative might take the form of a local co-op store or may be a less structured food delivery service run by volunteers. Both options are a great way to access fresh, delicious produce without breaking the bank.
It’s a little like Christmas! You never know exactly what is going to be in your primary food box and the add-ons are fabulous deals.
Which leads me back to my 38 pound glorious overabundance of pears. They were an add-on item.
Seriously people, 38 pounds of pears!
We ate tons of pears, enjoyed pear cobbler, and gave some away to neighbors. Pears galore!
Easy Pear Recipes
I decided to make pear sauce and pear leather with the remaining pears. Pear sauce is delicious and easy to make, it freezes or cans well. It’s the perfect solution to a pear overload!Print
Pear sauce is a delicious alternative to apple sauce. This easy sugar-free version is perfect for the whole family.
- 16 cups pear (peeled and cored)
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- Peel and core 16 cups of pears, place in a crock pot add 1 cup of apple juice or apple cider.
- Cook pears on low for 6-8 hours until they are easy to mash.
- Mash with a potato mashed or puree with a handheld immersion blender.
- Add cinnamon to taste, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 174
Keywords: Slow cooker pear sauce, pear sauce, pear fruit leather
Another great use for extra pears in fruit leather. Fruit leather is easy to make in the oven or a food dehydrator. It tastes great and is a great snack. I love making my own fruit leather with no sugar.
Fruit leather is an easy snack to make at home with no artificial ingredients. This pear version has no added sugar.
- 8 cups pears ((peeled and cored))
- 1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
- If pears are very ripe peel, core and puree in a blender. If pears are firm, make pear sauce then proceed with recipe.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour 4 cups of pureed pears onto each tray.
- Spread the puree evenly aound the sheet, about ¼ inch thick.
- Place baking sheet in a 180 degree oven for 8-10 hours. The fruit leather is finished when it is no longer sticky to the touch.
- Cut into pieces and store in an air tight container.
- Serving Size: 2 pieces
- Calories: 29
Keywords: pear fruit leather, homemade fruit roll ups
U.S. raised Bartlett pears are available in late summer thru fall. They are a delicious treat! I hope you get some and try making pear sauce or pear leather.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!