Healthy blueberry muffin have whole grains, little refined sugar, and only healthy fats. They are the perfect streusel muffin for a family breakfast or healthy kids snack.
For the Love of Blueberry Muffins
Are you a blueberry muffin lover? At the BrenDid homestead we all love blueberries and muffins! Unfortunately, most blueberry muffins recipes should be in the dessert section of the cookbook since they contain lots of sugar and oil.
This healthy blueberry muffin recipe contains whole grains, very little refined sugar, and only healthy fats. They also contain flax seed (which has a host of health benefits and has been called one of the healthiest foods on earth) and wheat germ (which packs in extra protein, vitamins, and minerals).
Don’t worry, these muffins are not just another healthy but nearly inedible food. They are irresistible, streusel topped delights! The blueberries, yogurt, and honey make them sweet while when wheat germ, oats and flax seed make the topping as crunchy and delicious as old-fashioned butter and brown sugar streusel.
Make these muffins in a mini-muffin pan for toddlers or snacks. I love the way delicious recipes make healthy ingredients such as flax seed and wheat germ appealing to kids (and adults too).
My son, the carb lover, loves streusel-topped coffee cake…
especially the sugar and fat-filled version served in coffee-houses.
I limit that dessert to an occasional treat. Luckily, he also loves these healthy Blueberry Streusel Muffins. I am always happy to make and serve a nutritious recipe that my family loves! Given the choice of fat and sugar laden coffee cake and these muffins I know I am making the right choice.
I hope you try my Best Blueberry Streusel Muffins Recipe and taste just how delicious healthy eating can be!Print
Are you a blueberry muffin lover? The Best Blueberry Streusel Muffin Recipe contains whole grains, little refined sugar, and healthy fats. The irresistible streusel topping is made with wheat germ, oats and flax seed instead of butter and sugar. Enjoy your muffins without the guilt!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed (I used golden; either golden or brown work well)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar (I use organic pure cane sugar)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 8 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw honey (I used local honey for added allergy relief benefits)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries (rinsed and drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the streusel topping: Lightly pulse the oats in a food processor or blended until they are roughly chopped. This is optional, but makes the strudel more traditional in appearance. Combine all topping ingredients in small bowl and stir to combine.
- Prepare the blueberry muffin batter: In medium bowl combine all batter ingredients except blueberries. Blend well by hand or with an electric mixer. Fold in blueberries by hand.
- Spoon batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups they will be 2/3 full. (You can spray each muffin paper lightly with cooking spray to prevent muffins from sticking).
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over muffins. Use the back of a spoon or your hand to press the streusel lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the muffins comes out clean. Store leftovers in a air tight container.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 214
Keywords: healthy blueberry muffins, healthy streusel muffins, healthy blueberry muffins
MORE HEALTHY MUFFIN RECIPES TO TRY
1 – Healthy Oatmeal Muffins – My original no flour, no sugar, no oil recipe. This basic recipe is sweetened with bananas and is easy to customize.
2 – Healthy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins – My kids’ all-time favorite healthy oatmeal muffins recipe. Lots of CHOCOLATE flavor.
3 – Healthy Zucchini Muffins Recipe – Zucchini and spices give the muffins classic zucchini bread flavor. Enjoy a fall favorites with no guilt!
4 – Apple Cinnamon Blender Muffins – This easy recipe mixes in the blender for no mess but lots of cinnamon apple flavor.
5 – No Flour, No Sugar, Dairy Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins – Pumpkin puree, spices, and a bit of maple syrup tempt your taste buds.
Like my healthy recipes? Sign up for my free newsletter below and never miss a thing!
Love healthy muffins? Subscribe to my newsletter below and never miss a recipe!