Are you a blueberry muffin lover? The Best Blueberry Streusel Muffin Recipe contains whole grains, little refined sugar, and healthy fats. The irresistible streusel topping is made with wheat germ, oats and flax seed instead of butter and sugar. Enjoy your muffins without the guilt!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed (I used golden; either golden or brown work well)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar (I use organic pure cane sugar)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 8 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw honey (I used local honey for added allergy relief benefits)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries (rinsed and drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the streusel topping: Lightly pulse the oats in a food processor or blended until they are roughly chopped. This is optional, but makes the strudel more traditional in appearance. Combine all topping ingredients in small bowl and stir to combine.
- Prepare the blueberry muffin batter: In medium bowl combine all batter ingredients except blueberries. Blend well by hand or with an electric mixer. Fold in blueberries by hand.
- Spoon batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups they will be 2/3 full. (You can spray each muffin paper lightly with cooking spray to prevent muffins from sticking).
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over muffins. Use the back of a spoon or your hand to press the streusel lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the muffins comes out clean. Store leftovers in a air tight container.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 214
Keywords: healthy blueberry muffins, healthy streusel muffins, healthy blueberry muffins