Easy Oven Roasted Root Vegetables are a healthy and delicious side dish. They are perfect for a simple dinner or a holiday feast. Try adding this easy and colorful vegetable side dish your next meal.
I’m a veggie lover. I love a good salad and enjoy having several kinds of vegetables on my plate.
Do I sound like a health nut? It is really more of a practical matter.
- As a mom I appreciate a variety of vegetables because it means more chances for kids to explore and discover new favorites.
- As a figure conscious person I appreciate a variety of vegetables because they makes dinner seem indulgent without adding many calories.
This post contains affiliate links, they don’t cost you a thing but help me bring you tasty recipes. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
Oven Roasted Root Vegetables
I don’t particularly love fussy combinations or complicated recipes when making vegetables. Steamed vegetables are my go-to choice for busy days… but when I have a bit of extra time I adore roasted vegetables.
Love them so much I make an extra big batch so I can eat roast vegetable leftovers for lunch (for days and days).
Love them so much I eat them cold.
Love them so much that I am writing this ode to root vegetables for all to read.
Have you ever roasted vegetables?
Roasting gives root vegetables a delightfully tender and fluffy inside with firm, slightly chewy outside. It elevates even boring root vegetables into something exciting.
Plus, the high temperature used in this recipe enhances the natural sweetness of the vegetables and caramelizes the edges. Those dark brown edges are so delicious. They cannot be beat!
Cast Iron for Perfect Roast Vegetables
I roast my vegetables in a deep cast iron skillet for best results. The cast iron retains oven heat better than other baking pans. Direct contact with the super-hot cast iron surface helps roast vegetables achieve a perfect golden-brown color.
My go-to fall and winter side dish is Oven Roasted Root Vegetables. It’s quick to throw together and adds a lovely splash of color to your winter table. As a bonus root vegetables are generally affordable in the cooler months, so this side dish will not break the bank.
This recipe uses sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots and beets. You can also add parsnips and turnips to the mix if your family enjoys those vegetables.
Be aware that choosing red beets will turn the other items a bit crimson. It doesn’t bother our family, but you can substitute golden beets if you prefer your vegetables less pink!Print
Easy Oven Roasted Root Vegetables are a healthy and delicious side dish. Easy and colorful vegetable side dish. Perfect for for any meal. Vegan, vegetarian, real food for Easter Thanksgiving, Christmas, and more!
- 1 ½ cups beets (red or golden, 3 small beets)
- 2 cups potatoes (2 medium)
- 2 cups sweet potato (1 large)
- 2 cups onion (1 large)
- 2 cups carrots (4–5 large)
- ½–1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2–4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel vegetables and cut into 1-1 1/2-inch pieces. Lightly grease a large cast iron skillet or baking sheet with olive oil.
- Add all vegetables to the pan and top with olive oil, spices and minced garlic. Toss well to combine.
- Roast the vegetables until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally every 15 minutes to ensure equal browning. This takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Using red beets will make the vegetables a bit pink, choose golden beets if you prefer no color transfer.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 145
Keywords: Oven Roasted Root Vegetables, roasted vegetables, cast iron recipe
I serve roasted root vegetables with Crazy Easy Roast Chicken. It’s a warm, hearty meal that is delicious and healthy.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!