This easy Gorgonzola cheese ball recipe is sure to impress the guests at any holiday party. It's sweet and savory flavor will stand out from all the other appetizers.
New Year's Confessions
I'll admit it, I don't know the words to Auld Lang Syne past “should auld acquaintance be forgot” and had no idea why we sign it on New Year's Eve.
(Okay, so that admission wasn't all that revealing!)
I did a little research and found out the it's an old Scottish song. The title means “Times Gone By” and the lyrics are about remembering old friends and the times spent with them.
The song was first published in 1788 but became famous in 1929 when Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadian Band began playing it on their annual New Year's Eve radio broadcast.
Another New Year's Revelation
Another not-so-revealing admission for NYE?
I LOVE cheese.
I really LOVE stinky cheese… and I really, really LOVE Gorgonzola!
To celebrate New Year's Eve I'm sharing my favorite Gorgonzola Cheese Ball Recipe. I love making (and sharing) it with friends.
Savory Gorgonzola Cheese Ball Recipe
This cheese ball recipe is a delicious and easy way to serve Gorgonzola cheese.
The delicious-but-strong cheese is blended with cream cheese, dried cranberries, and caramelized onions then rolled in nuts. The cream cheese mellows the flavor of the Gorgonzola and the caramelized onions add to the sweet/savory flavor.
An added plus: the cheese ball comes together quickly and can be made several days ahead… making it the perfect appetizer for busy holiday parties and nights like New Year's Eve.Print
This Gorgonzola Cheese Ball Recipe with Caramelized Onions is perfect for holiday entertaining! It is easy and delicious.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4–1/2 cup finely diced onion, caramelized (measure before cooking)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp scallion tops or parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook onions in a skillet over medium heat using 1 tsp. olive oil until dark golden brown. Stir frequently.
- Caramelization should take approximately 10 minutes. If the onion begin to burn add a splash of water, it will cook off.
- Cool onions to room temperature
Make Cheese Ball
- Cream together cream cheese, Gorgonzola cheese, and Tabasco until thoroughly combined. (Use a handheld or stand mixer for easy blending.)
- Mix cranberries and caramelized onions into cheese mixture until evenly combined.
- Place cheese mixture onto plastic wrap, pat and roll into a ball shape, wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap, reshape into ball, and roll in chopped nuts. (Roll in 2 Tbsp green scallion tops or parsley for extra color, if desired.)
- Place cheese ball on serving tray and refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve with assorted crackers and/or celery and carrots.
- Serving Size: 1/16
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 161
- Fat: 11
- Carbohydrates: 6.8
- Protein: 3.1
- Cholesterol: 30
Keywords: gorgonzola cheese ball recipe, easy cheese ball, caramelized onion cheese ball
More Easy Appetizers
- Cucumber Pepper Cups are easy to make and loved by guests.
- Homemade Grape and Plum Salsa is a tasty twist on classic salsa.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my free newsletter below and never miss a thing!