Pizza night just got better. This recipe makes soft Homemade Pizza House Breadsticks with cheesy, garlic & herb seasoning and easy dipping pizza sauce. It’s perfect for pizza night or anytime!
Family Movie Night
Friday night is family movie night at our house. We like to make homemade pizza then hang out and watch a family friendly movie. I’m currently teaching my kids how to make pizza dough and my favorite recipe for homemade pizza sauce.
Have you ever made homemade pizza? It’s easy to prepare and much healthier than frozen or takeout pizza. It’s also fun to work together as a family to make dinner. Sometimes we make big, restaurant style pizzas and sometimes we make individual pizzas so each person can customize their own toppings.
Homemade Pizza House Breadstick Recipe
One item my kids demand on pizza night is pizza house breadsticks (their name for our healthier version of Pizza Hut breadsticks) with homemade pizza sauce for dipping. This recipe makes two 12×18 pans full of soft, fluffy breadsticky goodness.
You can also use the dough as homemade pizza crust: divide the dough in half then use one half to make one pan of breadsticks and one half to make a 16-inch pizza. It’s perfect for feeding our family of four with leftovers.
The easy pizza sauce recipe is delicious as a dipping sauce for breadsticks, pizza sauce, or even a simple red sauce for pasta. (Check out my Amazing Tomato Sauce recipe for another delicious option.)
The homemade pizza house bread sticks are topped with a cheesy, garlic and herb seasoning that tastes just like the famous restaurant seasoning. Don’t skip it!Print
Homemade Pizza House Breadsticks (with homemade pizza sauce) make chewy, soft breadsticks with cheesy herb topping, just like your favorite restaurant!
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cup warm water – 105° F–115° F (plus 3–4 Tbsp warm water reserved)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole wheat white)
- 3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing
Breadstick Seasoning Mixture Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp Parmesan or Parmesan Romano cheese, grated
- 1/2–1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
Pizza Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 15 oz tomato sauce, canned
- 15 oz petite diced tomatoes, canned (for smooth sauce use 2 cans of sauce instead of 1 can tomatoes)
- 1 cup white onion, finely diced (or 4 Tbsp dried minced onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (or 2 tsp canned minced garlic)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (if needed)
- Combine water, honey and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl combine salt, crushed oregano, garlic salt, and flours.
- Check to see if the yeast is starting to foam (it will look like a white film on top of the mixture). Add 3 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Turn stand mixer on medium (with dough hook attachment) and slowly pour in liquid mixture. Allow mixture to mix until it becomes well combined, about 1½ minutes. If the dough is very stiff or not coming together add a tablespoon of water and mix until combined. Continue adding an additional tablespoon of water until the dough is soft, but not sticky.
- Allow dough to knead in stand mixer for 10 minutes. The inside of the bowl should be clean; the dough should be elastic and should easily pull away from the dough hook.
- Roll the dough out into an approximately 15×19 rectangle. It will be about ⅓ of an inch thick. Cut the dough into 5 x 1.5 inch breadsticks (a pizza cutter works well) and place close together on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Brush the breadsticks with olive oil and cover with a clean towel. Place in an oven to rise until doubled in thickness (about 30 minutes).
- While breadsticks are rising, combine topping ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. I use my blender/mason jar trick. You can also make the pizza sauce.
- Remove breadsticks from oven and turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- While oven is pre-heating, brush the breadstick again with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until breadsticks are light brown.
Pizza Dipping Sauce:
- Sauté fresh onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender over medium high heat. (If using dried onions then sauté garlic in olive oil.)
- Add spices and stir for 30 seconds-1 minutes until they release a fragrant aroma. (The hot oil helps to open up the flavor of the dried spices.)
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (do not drain). Simmer and stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes.
- Use as bread stick dipping sauce or pizza sauce.
To make the dough into pizza: divide into two equal portions and roll each into a 16-inch round. Allow the crust to rise in a warm place for 15-20 minutes. Pre-bake the crust at 350 degrees for 15 minutes then top with sauce and your favorite toppings. Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes more, until cheese is melted and begins to brown slightly. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Serving Size: 4 breadsticks
- Calories: 326
Keywords: homemade breadsticks, pizza house bread sticks, pizza dipping sauce
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!