Homemade Pizza House Breadsticks (with homemade pizza sauce) make chewy, soft breadsticks with cheesy herb topping, just like your favorite restaurant!
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cup warm water – 105° F–115° F (plus 3–4 Tbsp warm water reserved)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole wheat white)
- 3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing
Breadstick Seasoning Mixture Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp Parmesan or Parmesan Romano cheese, grated
- 1/2–1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
Pizza Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 15 oz tomato sauce, canned
- 15 oz petite diced tomatoes, canned (for smooth sauce use 2 cans of sauce instead of 1 can tomatoes)
- 1 cup white onion, finely diced (or 4 Tbsp dried minced onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (or 2 tsp canned minced garlic)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt (if needed)
- Combine water, honey and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl combine salt, crushed oregano, garlic salt, and flours.
- Check to see if the yeast is starting to foam (it will look like a white film on top of the mixture). Add 3 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Turn stand mixer on medium (with dough hook attachment) and slowly pour in liquid mixture. Allow mixture to mix until it becomes well combined, about 1½ minutes. If the dough is very stiff or not coming together add a tablespoon of water and mix until combined. Continue adding an additional tablespoon of water until the dough is soft, but not sticky.
- Allow dough to knead in stand mixer for 10 minutes. The inside of the bowl should be clean; the dough should be elastic and should easily pull away from the dough hook.
- Roll the dough out into an approximately 15×19 rectangle. It will be about ⅓ of an inch thick. Cut the dough into 5 x 1.5 inch breadsticks (a pizza cutter works well) and place close together on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Brush the breadsticks with olive oil and cover with a clean towel. Place in an oven to rise until doubled in thickness (about 30 minutes).
- While breadsticks are rising, combine topping ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. I use my blender/mason jar trick. You can also make the pizza sauce.
- Remove breadsticks from oven and turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- While oven is pre-heating, brush the breadstick again with olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until breadsticks are light brown.
Pizza Dipping Sauce:
- Sauté fresh onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender over medium high heat. (If using dried onions then sauté garlic in olive oil.)
- Add spices and stir for 30 seconds-1 minutes until they release a fragrant aroma. (The hot oil helps to open up the flavor of the dried spices.)
- Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes (do not drain). Simmer and stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes.
- Use as bread stick dipping sauce or pizza sauce.
To make the dough into pizza: divide into two equal portions and roll each into a 16-inch round. Allow the crust to rise in a warm place for 15-20 minutes. Pre-bake the crust at 350 degrees for 15 minutes then top with sauce and your favorite toppings. Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes more, until cheese is melted and begins to brown slightly. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Serving Size: 4 breadsticks
- Calories: 326
Keywords: homemade breadsticks, pizza house bread sticks, pizza dipping sauce