Fresh tomatoes are one of the simple pleasures in life. Capture their flavor with this amazing tomato sauce recipe. It is bursting with flavor without any special cooking techniques or tons of additional ingredients.
This amazing tomato sauce recipe uses only tomatoes, garlic and olive oil as a base with a hint of salt, pepper and oregano to highlight the tomato flavor. It also has one secret ingredient….
Red wine vinegar!
Red wine vinegar adds a pleasingly tangy flavor to tomato sauces. It is, after all, sour wine! You need to add just a bit of vinegar to liven up the sauce without making the entire batch sour. Think of it as squeezing a slice of lemon into a glass of water to brighten the taste.
If you’ve never had homemade tomato sauce you are in for a treat! This versatile sauce can be served over pasta, made into lasagna, or even used a pizza sauce.
This tomato sauce keeps in the fridge for about a week and can be frozen. I love making a huge batch and then freezing the contents in small containers. I simple defrost while I cook some pasta and dinner is done!
This tomato sauce recipe uses only tomatoes, garlic and olive oil as a base with a hint of salt, pepper and oregano to highlight the tomato flavor. It also has one secret ingredient…. red wine vinegar! It can be used on pasta, as pizza sauce or to make lasagna.
- 16 cups roma tomatoes (( washed, cored, and quartered – or 4 –28 ounce cans))
- 10–14 cloves garlic ((roughly diced))
- 4–6 tablespoons olive oil ((good quality))
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic. Stir garlic until it becomes fragrant and soft but does not brown.
- Add tomatoes and stir.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat until tomatoes are soft (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or in batches using a traditional blender until smooth. Return to pot.
- Stir salt, pepper, oregano, and red wine vinegar into the sauce.
- Heat the sauce until it begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low. Simmer and stir the sauce for about 20 minutes until it is heated thoroughly and slightly reduced.
- Serve sauce over pasta or use in your favorite dish. Cool to room temperature before freezing.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 92
Tip: No fresh tomatoes, no problem! Simply substitute four 28 ounce cans of tomatoes. I prefer tomatoes with their skin on that are packed in cans that are not lined with BPA.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!