These cool science experiments for kids come with a free printable lab book that your kids will love. You can complete all three projects with common household items. Get the experiments today!
Disclosure: Netflix provided me with a streaming device and service in return for writing about their service. The opinions and free printables in this post are my own. #StreamTeam This post uses affiliate links. They don’t cost you a thing and help us bring you creative projects. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
The Importance of STEM
As the parent of an elementary age daughter I am disturbed by a trend occurring in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields. Girls are MOVING AWAY from the STEM fields at the very time that these area of the economy are rapidly growing and becoming more profitable in the U.S.
Women make up more than 51% of the U.S. workforce and have multiplied in careers such as medicine, law and business, but U.S. Department of Education figures show that female graduates in computer science are less than half of what they were in the mid-1980s.
And it gets worse…
- Employment data from notable Silicon Valley tech companies shows that women hold only 16% of the tech jobs.
When do the STEM fields lose girls?
- One point where girls lose interest is middle school (according to the Commission on the Advancement of Women and Minorities in Science, Engineering and Technology).
- By high school girls equate computer scientists with geeks, pocket protectors and isolated cubicles (according to a 2005 report by the National Center for Women and Information Technology).
How can parents reverse this trend?
There are two easy ways that parent can keep their daughters interested in science, technology, engineering, and math.
- By combating stereotypes that suggest girls don’t have strong math and technical skills.
- By supporting girls’ interest in STEM fields.
I’m excited to announce that Netflix has a new original series that fits perfectly with my goal of breaking negative stereotypes.
- Project Mc² features four super smart science-skilled girls who are recruited to work for a top-secret spy organization. It’s a refreshing take on typical tween girl shows that usually focus on boys, clothes, and dating.
- The series weaves S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) into the story line and can help to break the stereotype that girls cannot be smart, funny, stylish and capable.
Introducing Project Mc²
Check out the Project Mc² preview below. My daughter and I love the crazy acronyms, zany inventions & experiments, and girls with big time SMARTS!
Cool Science Experiments for Kids
You can conduct some cool science experiments at home with your kids with my free printable lab notebook (available in the free printable library)! It’s a fun and easy way to keep your daughter interested in science.
- The more parents are involved, the more confident and engaged children are as learners (according to the National Science Teachers Association)
These easy science projects use physics and chemistry to create a glitter tornado, shine pennies then turn them green, and catch ice on a string. They use supplies you have around the house and will delight your daughter (or son).
- Get the full science project instructions and download your free printable lab book today (available in the free printable library),! You can customize it with your favorite cardstock.
The lab book even includes a fun message and challenge from The Quail, leader of NOV8 the elite spy organization in Project Mc².
Like my free printables? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!