The Rosemary Honey Gin Rickey is a modern twist on a vintage cocktail made from a refreshing mix of fresh lime juice, sparkling water, and gin with rosemary honey simple syrup.
It’s been called the cocktail of summer 2105, but it’s not a new invention… it was F. Scott Fitzgerald’s favorite drink in the 20’s. What is it? The Gin Rickey!
What is in a Gin Rickey?
The Gin Rickey is a vintage cocktail made from a refreshing mix of fresh lime juice, sparkling water and gin. Nothing could be better on a warm summer evening.
The Rickey was the star of the Roaring Twenties. I imagine bartenders in white waistcoats serving up light, refreshing Gin Rickey cocktails as Chanel clad flappers dance to a live jazz band.
I love classic cocktails that are prepared without artificial coloring or flavorings. They are uncomplicated and tasty without ruining your health.
I’ve jazzed up my Gin Rickey with Rosemary Honey simple syrup. Fresh rosemary is steeped in hot water and blended with just a bit of honey to lightly sweeten the drink.
Perfect Gin Rickey Tips
You can use any gin, but I prefer Bombay Sapphire Gin in this recipe. It is has a lighter, more floral flavor than many gins. I promise you will not be overwhelmed by juniper, no Pine Sol cocktails for me!
Scott Fitzgerald would have expected his Gin Rickey to be served with a lime wheel; I prefer mine with a few fat wedges of lime thread on a piece of fresh rosemary.Print
A vintage 1920’s cocktail made from a refreshing mix of fresh lime juice, sparkling water and gin. This modern Gin Rickey with Rosemary Honey simple syrup. Fresh rosemary is steeped in hot water and blended with honey to lightly sweeten the drink.
Simple Syrup Ingredients (for 6 drinks)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- ¼ cup fresh rosemary leaves (loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
Gin Rickey Ingredients (for 1 drink)
- 1–1 1/2 oz Gin (2–3 Tbsp)
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice (2 Tbsp)
- 1 oz Rosemary Honey Simple Syrup (2 Tbsp)
- 1/2 cup Sparkling Water or Club Soda
- Wash the rosemary and remove the leaves from the stems.
- Place rosemary and honey in a heat proof cup or bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the rosemary and stir until honey is dissolved.
- Allow to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain out rosemary and store in refrigerator for up to one week or freeze into ice cubes for several months.
- In a short cocktail glass or small Mason jar combine gin, lime juice, and simple syrup. Stir lightly.
- Top with ½ club soda and ½ cup ice.
- Garnish with lime and a sprig of fresh rosemary.
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- Calories: 157
Keywords: rosemary gin rickey, gin rickey cocktail, gin cocktail
If you are looking for an easy, refreshing summer cocktail I hope you try a Honey Rosemary Gin Rickey.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!