A warm, delicious bowl of creamy soup is perfect at the end of a crisp fall day. This thick soup with its smooth texture warms you up and satisfies. It highlights the delicious flavors of produce that signify fall to me: sweet potatoes, apples, carrots and onions.
I’ve dressed up the nutritious vegetables and fruit with ginger, garlic, coconut milk and curry powder. These additions take the soup to another level! It is slightly sweet with a hint of exotic spice. The full flavor ensures that you will be perfectly satisfied, even my meat loving husband does not complain when Creamy Ginger Sweet Potato Soup is on the menu.
I love the flavor AND the convenience of being able to toss a few simple ingredients into the crock pot and still have delicious dinner prepared at the end of the busy day. What is better than walking into a house filled with the smell of dinner? All I have to do is stir, blend and serve.
Just when you thought this soup could not get any better, I’ve topped it with Crispy Roasted Garbanzo Beans. They pack a crispy dose of protein and extra flavor. My kids love them (and even eat them for a snack). At dinner time I place a bowl of roasted garbanzo beans, a squeeze bottle of coconut milk, a shaker of chipotle chili powder, and some diced scallions on the table then let everyone dress up their own bowl. You can also serve your Creamy Ginger Sweet Potato soup with my Better Than Take Out Naan or fresh bread of choice.
This soup makes a large batch and freezes well. We usually have it for dinner and then I freeze the leftovers in serving size containers that I can easy defrost for lunch.
A warm, delicious bowl of creamy soup is perfect at the end of a crisp fall day. This thick soup with its smooth texture warms you up and satisfies. It highlights the delicious flavors of produce that signify fall to me: sweet potatoes, apples, carrots and onions. I’ve dressed up the nutritious vegetables and fruit with ginger, garlic, coconut milk and curry powder. These additions take the soup to another level! It is slightly sweet with a hint of exotic spice.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 31/2 to 4 cups carrots (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 2 cups apples (peeled and roughly chopped (I used Fuji)
- 2 cups chopped onion (white or sweet yellow)
- 1 Tbsp ginger, diced (you can used ginger diced in a jar)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (you can used garlic minced in a jar)
- 32 oz vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 –14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp curry powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 Tbsp cumin (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (adjust to taste)
- If desired lightly coat inside of crock pot with coconut oil. This step is optional, but helps with easier clean up. Place sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, onions, ginger, garlic and broth in crock pot.
- Cook, covered, on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup until there are no lumps. You can also transfer the soup to a blender in small batches and process. Only fill your blender ½ full when processing hot soup to prevent explosions. (I’ve learned from experience.)
- Stir in the coconut milk, curry powder, cumin, sea salt and cinnamon. If you want a less spicy soup stir in the coconut milk and add the spices in small amounts (stirring well between each addition) until you reach your desired level of spice.
- Serve with Smoky Roasted Garbanzo Beans.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 146
Keywords: sweet potato soup, creamy sweet potato soup, fall soup recipe, crock pot soup
I hope you try my favorite fall soup! It’s an easy way to get extra vegetables into your family.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!