Are you a garbanzo bean lover? Also known as chickpeas, these nutritious and delicious beans are probably most famous for their inclusion in garbanzo bean hummus recipes. However, they are equally delicious when oven roasted with spices; they add a punch of protein and crunch to soupl. They are delicious in salad and tasty as a snack.
Fall makes me want to cook hearty meals with complex flavors. One of my favorite fall meals is Creamy Gingered Sweet Potato Carrot Soup. It’s a thick, creamy meal with the flavors of sweet potatoes, apples, carrots highlighted with ginger and curry. While soup is delicious, it sometimes lacks the texture that makes you feel like you have consumed a satisfying meal. I love topping my vegetarian soups with Crispy Roasted Garbanzo Beans.
Roasting garbanzo beans is quick and easy. All you need is canned beans, olive oil and your choice of spices. Toss the ingredients together.
Pop them in the oven.
In no time you have a great garnish, snack or side dish.
I hope you try roasting garbanzo beans and try using them to top my Creamy Gingered Sweet Potato Carrot Soup.Print
Crispy Roasted Garbanzo Beans add a punch of protein and crunch to any meal. They are delicious in salad and tasty as a snack. Roasting garbanzo beans is quick and easy. All you need is canned beans (or cooked dried beans), olive oil and your choice of spices. Pop them in the oven and in no time you have a great garnish, snack or side dish.
- 2 –14 oz cans garbanzo beans (drained, rinsed and dried)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder (you can also use regular chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Empty cans of garbanzo beans into colander, rinse well with cold water and allow to drain. Empty onto paper towel and pat dry.
- Place beans in large bowl and stir in olive oil to coat.
- Combine spices in a small bowl (this prevents to much of one spice from sticking to one bean). You may adjust the spices to taste.
- Sprinkle beans with spices and stir to coat.
- Place beans on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, stir. Bake for another 10 minutes, stir and check for crispness. Continue baking for 5 minute increments until beans are done. They should be crisp, but still slightly chewy and not hard.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in your refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 14 cup
- Calories: 325