Make this simple DIY Valentine gift by filling a bucket with playdough and attaching a free printable Valentine cards. Bonus: check out the homemade play dough recipe.
Non-Candy Valentines for Kids
I found sweet little buckets at the Dollar Tree (they are approximately 4 inches tall and 4 inches in diameter) that make adorable and affordable Valentine gifts.
I designed a free Valentine printable that lets your Valentine know you are sending them “Buckets of Love.”
Fill the bucket with playdough for a simple candy free idea.
My favorite homemade gift as a little girl was the homemade playdough I helped my mom make and color in our very own kitchen.
My mom was my preschool teacher so I looked up her play dough recipe in the cookbook we “wrote” as 4 year olds. It’s a simple, classic play dough recipe made from basic kitchen ingredients.
My daughter and I made one batch of play dough and colored it pink, red and lavender in honor of Valentine’s Day. It filled 2 buckets.
I hope you try making playdough with your kids. It’s an easy project that is cheaper than store-bought playdough.
Easy, Non-Toxic Play Dough Recipe
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 cup table salt
- 4 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cup water
- food coloring
- Whisk together the flour, salt, cream of tartar, oil in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the water until it is fully incorporated and there are no lumps.
- Turn on the stove and heat the mixture over medium-high heat until it thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Stir frequently, using a wooden spoon while you heat the play dough to keep it from sticking or scorching.
- Once the dough is a solid mass, remove it from heat and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer. Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes with a bread hook until it is smooth and shiny. You may also knead by hand. Divide the dough into 3 portions and add food coloring to the middle of the dough lump.
- Mix with the mixer or knead by hand until the color is fully incorporated and even. To make pink you need 6 drops of red food coloring. To make red you need about 12 drops of red food coloring. To make lavender you need 5 drops of blue food coloring and 8 drops of red food coloring.
Store the play dough in an airtight container or plastic bag. You do not need to refrigerate. It lasts a long time!
Free Printable Valentines
Like my easy crafts and free printables? Sign up for my neswletter below and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!