Caramel Slice is a decadent bar cookie featuring rich shortbread, luscious caramel filling, and a creamy chocolate topping. It is a holiday must in the British Commonwealth, give it a try this year!
A special thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post.
Boxing Day is a national holiday celebrated in many Commonwealth counties including England, Australia, and Canada. What was once a day set aside for giving charity to the poor and gifts to servants has evolved into an extended Christmas holiday in many former territories of the British Empire.
I first learned about Boxing Day from a dear Australian friend and instantly fell in love with the idea! After a holiday season spent rushing around it is wonderful to have a day set aside to relax and recover. Social commitments, church services, and extended family obligations have been completed on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, so Boxing Day is simply lazy time to eat leftovers, enjoy presents opened on Christmas, and spend time with immediate family.
Bringing Boxing Day to the USA
We love celebrating Boxing Day with our family. The entire day is spent lounging around in new holiday pajamas, watching Christmas movies, and eating our favorite goodies. I love the extra time we get to spend together and I enjoy teaching our children about holidays and traditions in other cultures.
Boxing Day is such a decadent indulgence! I can’t believe more Americans haven’t adopted the holiday.
This post uses affiliate links. They don’t cost you a thing and help us bring you delicious recipes.
What is Caramel Slice?
Caramel Slice is a decadent treat that is a holiday must! Like Boxing Day it is a treat from the British Commonwealth. My Australian friends are not sure if this treat is originally from the land down under (versions exist around the world) but it is definitely popular in Oz.
This delicious recipe is made from a layer of shortbread topped with luscious caramel filling and rich chocolate topping. In the United States the treat is sometimes called Millionaire Shortbread or Caramel Shortbread. Whatever you choose to call these cookies, they are one of the most delicious treats ever imagined!
How to Make Caramel Slice
I like to make my caramel slice the old-fashioned way. I use no sweetened condensed milk and no golden syrup or corn syrup. The delicious caramel filling is made from sugar, butter, and cream. It is so easy to make and the flavor payoff is worth the extra effort.
I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour, Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour, and Bob’s Red Mill Shredded Coconut (unsweetened) to make my favorite caramel slice recipe.
I love combining Organic Whole Wheat Flour with Unbleached All Purpose White Flour for a richer taste in my holiday recipes.
This delicious recipe is made from a layer of shortbread topped with a luscious caramel filling and rich chocolate topping.
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut or desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil (melted)
- 11/2 cups refined granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or refined coconut oil
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon table salt
Chocolate Topping Ingredients
- 8 oz dark chocolate (chopped, approximately 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 10 inch glass or ceramic pan with butter or coconut oil. Line the pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, sugar, coconut, and melted butter in a medium bowl blend well until combined.
- Press crust mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While crust bakes, prepare the caramel in a heavy bottom sauce pan.
- Pour sugar and water into sauce pan and heat without stirring over medium high heat until the mixture boils and turns light amber brown.This takes approximately 10-15 minutes and will read 325 degree Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer. (see detailed images and instructions)
- Remove boiling sugar from heat and immediately stir in butter, cream, salt and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth. Immediately pour caramel over warm prepared crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden. Cool to room temperature.
Chocolate Topping Directions
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave safe bowl. Heat and stir until melted and smooth (if using a microwave heat in short 15 second burst and stir well between each).
- Spread chocolate evenly over caramel.
- Cool completely in the refrigerator or a cold room. Use parchment to remove from pan.
Caramel Slice Storage
- Cut into small squares once the caramel slice is cool and set.
- Store the cookies on parchment layers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 2x2 square
- Calories: 194
Keywords: Millionaire Shortbread, Caramel Shortbread, Caramel Slice
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!