This delicious recipe is made from a layer of shortbread topped with a luscious caramel filling and rich chocolate topping.
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut or desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or coconut oil (melted)
- 11/2 cups refined granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or refined coconut oil
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon table salt
Chocolate Topping Ingredients
- 8 oz dark chocolate (chopped, approximately 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 10 inch glass or ceramic pan with butter or coconut oil. Line the pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, sugar, coconut, and melted butter in a medium bowl blend well until combined.
- Press crust mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly browned approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While crust bakes, prepare the caramel in a heavy bottom sauce pan.
- Pour sugar and water into sauce pan and heat without stirring over medium high heat until the mixture boils and turns light amber brown.This takes approximately 10-15 minutes and will read 325 degree Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer. (see detailed images and instructions)
- Remove boiling sugar from heat and immediately stir in butter, cream, salt and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth. Immediately pour caramel over warm prepared crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden. Cool to room temperature.
Chocolate Topping Directions
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave safe bowl. Heat and stir until melted and smooth (if using a microwave heat in short 15 second burst and stir well between each).
- Spread chocolate evenly over caramel.
- Cool completely in the refrigerator or a cold room. Use parchment to remove from pan.
Caramel Slice Storage
- Cut into small squares once the caramel slice is cool and set.
- Store the cookies on parchment layers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 2x2 square
- Calories: 194
Keywords: Millionaire Shortbread, Caramel Shortbread, Caramel Slice