I’m going to throw down the gauntlet right here → this is the best banana bread recipe! And I’ve made a lot of homemade banana bread.
Why do I love this recipe? 3 reasons:
- It’s an easy banana bread recipe. The recipe only takes a few minutes to complete and can easily be double or tripled. As a added bonus it uses up all the overripe bananas.
- It’s a healthy banana bread recipe. Most banana bread recipes contain lots of sugar and unhealthy oils. This recipe eliminates ALL the oil, greatly reduces the sugar, and uses mostly whole wheat flour (I like to use whole wheat white). Even with all the changes, the recipe makes a healthy banana bread that doesn’t sacrifice taste.
- It’s an easy to customize banana bread recipe. My kids enjoy banana bread and it is an easy breakfast choice, but plain old banana bread can get boring.
- You can make this recipe into chocolate chip banana bread by adding 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Turn it into banana nut bread by stirring in 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans.
- Transform it into banana craisin bread by adding 1/2 cup of craisins.
- It also makes great banana bread muffins; simply divide the batter into 24 muffin tins lined with cupcake papers and reduce the baking time to 25 minutes.
If you’re looking for a delicious and moist banana bread you’ve found it!Print
Best Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
- Category: Quick Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Healthy and delicious banana bread! Recipe uses no oil and less sugar than other recipes and whole wheat flour. Just as delicious as less healthy banana breads recipes.
- 3 large overripe bananas (1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 c white sugar mixed with 1 tbsp molasses)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp real vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Mash bananas well, they should have no lumps. I use my mixer to mash them before adding the other wet ingredients.
- Add eggs, brown sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in optional ingredients: 1/2 c cranberries, chocolate chips or nuts.
- Pour into a greased and dusted loaf pan. (I like to use coconut oil to grease the pan.)
- Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes, a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf should come out clean. (You may also make 2 smaller loaves and bake for 30 minutes.)
- Wait 10 minutes before removing from pan. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and store leftovers in refrigerator.
Variations: banana nut bread, add 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans; chocolate chip banana bread, add 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips; banana craisin bread, 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 6.4
- Sodium: 118
- Fat: 0.9
- Carbohydrates: 17.5
- Protein: 2.5
- Cholesterol: 16.6
Keywords: banana bread, healthy banana bread
Best Banana Bread Tips
*This recipe is easy to double and also freezes well. I usually make 4 loaves at a time then wrap cooled loaves in foil plus a freezer bag before freezing.
*If you have ripe bananas but don’t have time to bake, peel and freeze them in a freezer bag. You can easily defrost them and use them in this recipe.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for free my newsletter below and never miss a thing!
This is the best banana bread recipe! Best of all it sneaks whole grains into my kids without them complaining that “that bread looks weird because it’s too brown!!” We all love it!
Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
I finally made this banana bread this week and it was delicious…but it disappeared way too fast 🙂
I am so glad you liked it Dawn! Have you tried my Healthy Oatmeal Muffins they have similar ingredients. I know what you are saying about the bread disappearing fast, I usually make 4 loaves at a time and it goes fast!
Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
LOL!!! You totally left out an important part of your reply but I figured out you are talking about your Healthy Oatmeal Muffins. I haven’t made them yet but I pinned them when I first saw the recipe so they are on my radar to try soon 🙂
Definitely “pinning” this to save for later. Can’t wait to try it!
This is our favorite banana bread recipe!
I’m glad you like it!