I'm going to throw down the gauntlet right here → this is the best banana bread recipe! And I've made a lot of homemade banana bread.
Why do I love this recipe? 3 reasons:
- It's an easy banana bread recipe. The recipe only takes a few minutes to complete and can easily be double or tripled. As a added bonus it uses up all the overripe bananas.
- It's a healthy banana bread recipe. Most banana bread recipes contain lots of sugar and unhealthy oils. This recipe eliminates ALL the oil, greatly reduces the sugar, and uses mostly whole wheat flour (I like to use whole wheat white). Even with all the changes, the recipe makes a healthy banana bread that doesn't sacrifice taste.
- It's an easy to customize banana bread recipe. My kids enjoy banana bread and it is an easy breakfast choice, but plain old banana bread can get boring.
- You can make this recipe into chocolate chip banana bread by adding 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Turn it into banana nut bread by stirring in 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans.
- Transform it into banana craisin bread by adding 1/2 cup of craisins.
- It also makes great banana bread muffins; simply divide the batter into 24 muffin tins lined with cupcake papers and reduce the baking time to 25 minutes.
If you're looking for a delicious and moist banana bread you've found it!
- 3 large overripe bananas 1 1/2 cups mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/2 c white sugar mixed with 1 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp real vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Variations: If you would like banana nut bread add 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans; if you would like chocolate chip banana bread add 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips; it is also delicious with 1/2 cup craisins or raisins
- Mash bananas well, they should have no lumps. I use my mixer to mash them before adding the other wet ingredients.
- Add eggs, brown sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in optional ingredients: 1/2 c cranberries, chocolate chips or nuts.
- Pour into a greased and dusted loaf pan. (I like to use coconut oil to grease the pan.)
- Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes, a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf should come out clean. (You may also make 2 smaller loaves and bake for 30 minutes.)
- Wait 10 minutes before removing from pan. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and store leftovers in refrigerator.
Best Banana Bread Tips
*This recipe is easy to double and also freezes well. I usually make 4 loaves at a time then wrap cooled loaves in foil plus a freezer bag before freezing.
*If you have ripe bananas but don't have time to bake, peel and freeze them in a freezer bag. You can easily defrost them and use them in this recipe.
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for free my newsletter below and never miss a thing!