Let me just say it again in case you didn’t fully savor the title appropriately:
SALTED CARAMEL SHORTBREAD COOKIES
Game over, Christmas cookie list complete, all the other cookies can go home and cry to their mommies….
Am I getting a bit too dramatic here? I don’t think so.
I discovered these tasty treats last Christmas at the Cookies and Cups blog. They are scrumptiously delicious and easy to make. (Both of these points are key to me when choosing Christmas cookie recipes!)
After realizing that this shortbread was going to be the star of every holiday celebration, I made a few changes to make it even easier to produce dozens of these tasty treats to share:
1) I increased the crust by 1/2, which makes a 12 x 18 x 1 jellyroll pan chock-full of buttery caramel goodness.
2) I use unsalted butter in the crust and definitely use the sea salt in the filling
3) Line the pan with parchment for easy cutting and cleanup.
My modified ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, room temp (6 sticks, yikes!)
- 1 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbs vanilla
- 6 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 bag (14 oz.) caramel candies (about 50 individual caramels), unwrapped
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 T. coarse sea salt
You can get the rest of the baking directions here at Cookies and Cups, make sure to bookmark it for next Christmas.
You will win every bake-off.
Impress the pickiest eater.
Have the most desired offering at the cookie exchange.
You definitely won’t sorry you tried them (until you button your jeans, but hey, that’s a January problem).
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!