July 14 is Mac & Cheese Day! We’re celebrating with a bowl of Mac & Cheese and fun macaroni art for kids. This back-to-basics macaroni art project uses dry noodles and colored paper to create a cool dimension effect.
Macaroni Art for Kids
Remember making macaroni art as a kid? Maybe you strung noodles on yarn for a Mother’s Day necklace or dyed noodles for a lesson on mosaics. These classic projects are a basic rite of childhood.
Maybe it’s because noodle art is simple; it requires only noodles, school glue, and paper. Or maybe it’s because no two projects are ever the same. Whatever the reason, kids love making noodle art!
My macaroni art project uses basic macaroni noodles and insect noodle shapes (from a themed box of mac & cheese) to add interest. Check your noodle and mac & cheese aisle for fun shapes!
Free Printable Macaroni Art Pages
Download the free printable designs for macaroni art inspiration. Both designs feature fun outdoor messages for summer (June was Get Outdoors Month and National Mac and Cheese Day is July 14!).
This project the perfect cool down activity after kids have been playing outdoors and need to take a break from the sun or potentially dangerous heat. To complete the project, simply print on your choice of colored paper, cut out the shapes and then glue on the noodles.
- Colored paper (thick paper works great)
- Free printable PDF pattern
- School glue
- Dry macaroni noodle in a variety of shapes
- Print selected design on colored paper and cut out shapes.
- Attach background shapes using school glue.
- Glue macaroni noodles onto colored shapes. Vary noodle shapes, sizes, and placement to add interest.
- Attach top shapes (bird or trees). Glue noodles underneath shapes for stability if needed.
- Air dry and enjoy!
Like my free printables and easy crafts? Sign up for my free newsletter and never miss a thing!