Learn how to make easy tassel flower crowns from yarn and pipe cleaners to delight someone you love. This simple craft is perfect for kids and adults.
This post uses affiliate links. They don’t cost you a thing and help us bring you creative projects. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
I love, Love, LOVE cheesy music from 1960’s groups. Just one verse of:
- Leader of the Pack by The Shangri-Las
- The Little Old Lady from Pasadena by Jan and Dean
- Soldier Boy by The Shirelles or
- Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes
And I will be singing all day!
The Flower Girl
This week I can’t get the song The Rain, The Park and Other Things by the Cowsills out of my mind. (I just found out that was the title, for most of my life I thought the name of the song was The Flower Girl because of the chorus lyrics.)
Why do I keep singing the song? Cause I’ve been making the sweetest tassel flower crowns that would be absolutely perfect for your favorite flower girl.
How to Make Tassel Flower Crowns
Yarn and pipe cleaners are the only craft supplies you need for this simple craft. They become tassel flowers in a few simple steps and then an easy flower chain crown that is perfect for dress up play.
Tassels flowers are easy to make if you can wrap and tie yarn. It may take a tassel or two to get the hang of this technique, but you’ll soon be a flower making pro!
- Place a pipe cleaner along one side of your fork.
- Wrap the fork and pipe cleaner with yarn. Be careful to keep the yarn area about 1 inch wide.
- Wrap the yarn 25-30 times around the fork. Twist pipe cleaner closed around yarn.
- Twist the pipe cleaner together around the end of the yarn.
- Remove flower from fork. Wrap the excess pipe cleaner down the stem until it is secure (you do not want to see it).
- Cut the loops of the yarn with scissors.
- Use a fork or metal tool to fray the yarn slightly.
- Fluff the top of your flower and trim any pieces that are too long.
Need more help or want to make flowers without a crown? Check out my Easy Tassel Flowers post.
Tassels crown are easier to make than traditional flower chain crowns. You can wrap and re-wrap the pipe cleaners until you feel they are secure.
- Make 10-15 tassel flowers following the steps above.
- Lay one flower flat on a table and place a second flower so the stems are perpendicular (they form a plus sign).
- Wrap the top pipe cleaner under the bottom stem and up.
- Continue to wrap the pipe cleaner toward the bottom flower.
- Continue to wrap the pipe cleaner back over itself until both stems are parallel.
- Repeat steps 2-5 with another flower (wrapping all lower stems).
- Repeat steps 2-5 with flowers until the crown is the desired size.
- Trim all stems except the last stem until they are 1 1/2 -2 inches long.
- Shape the flower chain into a circular crown and use the last stem to secure it (use the same wrapping motion as in steps 3-5).
- Wrap the pipe cleaner stem around the chain several time to make sure it is tight.
Enjoy your flower crown!
More Flower Crown Ideas
Make different flower crowns by changing the color of the flower yarn, varying the space between the flowers, or adding yarn tails. For this crown I used six yellow flowers and wrapped the entire crown in green yarn.
Easy tassel crowns are perfect for dress up play, weddings, parties, birthday celebrations and more. Make one for your favorite flower girl, it will make her happy!
Like easy crafts and free printable? Sign up for my free newsletter and never miss a thing!
Subscribe to the Bren Did Newsletter to Get Access