Rachel’s English trifle is the star of the most hilarious Thanksgiving episode in Friends’ 10-year history. Delight your friends with this recreation that used a fake “meat” layer made from Nutella and coconut. It’s delicious and laugh-out-loud funny!
- 1 Trifle Dish or Glass Bowl (7.5 inch diameter or larger)
- 1.5 lbs pound cake (cubed)
- 0.5 cup Raspberry Seedless Fruit Spread or Jelly (6 ounces)
- 2 cups Custard or Vanilla Pudding (16 ounces)
- 24 ounces Fresh Raspberries (washed and air dried)
- 1.5 cups Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (about 2 ounces)
- 4 ounces canned diced pears (cut into “onion” slices)
- 3 small kiwi (cut into “pea” shapes)
- 6 tbsp Nutella Hazelnut Spread (4.5 ounces)
- 1 medium Banana (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
- 2 cups Whipped cream (2/3 cup heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar whipped into stiff peaks)
- Make and cool 2 cups of custard. I used this easy stirred custard recipe. You can also use a vanilla pudding mix made with whole milk.
- Make the meat layer. Stir 6 tablespoons of Nutella into 1.5 cups unsweetened coconut (about 2 ounces). Make sure it is well combined. Slice canned, diced pears (1/4 cup) into small rectangles. Use the green part of 3 small kiwis to make “peas.” Slice the kiwi 1/4 inch thick then use a thick straw (the same way you use a cookie cutter) to make round shapes. (Keep fruit and coconut separate until you assemble the trifle.)
- Cube pound cake. Slice the cake into 3/4 inch slices, cut each slice into six pieces.
- Make the jam layer. Mix 9 ounces of fresh raspberries into 1/2 cup (6 ounces) seedless raspberry fruit spread . Crush berries with the back of your spoon.
Assemble the Trifle
- Place half of the pound cake in the bottom of a large glass trifle dish. Cover pound cake with jam.
- Spoon one cup of cooled custard over the jam.
- Top custard with 9 ounces fresh raspberries.
- Gently place remaining pound cake over raspberries.
- Sprinkle pound cake with coconut “meat” and top with pear “onions” and kiwi “peas.” Make sure there are lots of peas and onions near the edges of the glass dish so they are easy to see.
- Spoon remaining custard over “meat” layer, staying one 1/2-1 inch away from the edge. Top custard with banana slices.
- Place trifle in refrigerator to chill while you whip the cream. Spoon whipped cream over bananas and smooth gently.
- Top with 6 ounces fresh raspberries. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 245
Keywords: Thanksgiving trifle, Rachel's trifle, Friends trifle