Need a healthy snack idea? Try this easy, from scratch homemade cheese crackers recipe from BrenDid. Homemade crackers are easy to make and are an easy way to eliminate preservatives and additives from your diet.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon salt (omit salt if using salted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- Beat together softened butter and cheese with an electric mixer. It will come together to form a soft dough of uniform color.
- Once the butter and cheese have been completely combined, add the salt and pepper. Next, add the flour a few tablespoons at a time while mixing at a slow speed. The dough will become very crumbly.
- After the flour is fully incorporated, add the water one tablespoon at a time until a pie crust like dough forms, it should not be crumbly but should not be wet. You can add an extra teaspoon or two of water if needed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and divide dough into three balls.
- Use a rolling pin to roll one ball on a lightly floured surface until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Use a knife to cut the dough into squares or a small cookie cutter to make shaper. Place the crackers close together on a parchment lined baking sheet. Continue to roll and cut the dough until all the crackers are prepared.
- Bake the crackers for 12 to 15 minutes, they should be bubbled up, golden brown, and dry to the touch. Remove pans from oven and allow crackers to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Store the crackers in your refrigerator in an airtight container for 6-10 days. (Though I doubt they will last that long!)
- Serving Size: 1/10 of batch
- Calories: 350
Keywords: homemade cheese crackers, easy cheese crackers