Ultimate light potato soup for the crock pot is an easy, healthy and delicious dinner choice that is sure to please your family. It’seasy on your budget and saves 370 calories per serving. Try this healthy crock pot recipe today!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (2.5 lbs)
- 2 cups cauliflower, diced (12 oz)
- 2/3 cup celery, diced (2 oz)
- 1 onion, diced (8 oz)
- 6–8 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium, 32 oz)
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cilantro, dried (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter (0.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (1 oz)
- 1 1/3 cup skim milk (11 oz)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- Place potatoes, cauliflower, celery, onion, garlic, and herbs in a slow cooker.
- Cover vegetables with chicken broth.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or low for LOW for 7 hours* (potato should be tender).
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to puree soup.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet and sprinkle with flour. Whisk continuously for 3-4 minutes until the mixture becomes golden yellow. Slowly add milk (about 1-2 tbsp at a time) whisking smooth between each addition. Once all the milk is added continue whisking and cooking until the mixture is thick (about 1 minute).
- Pour the roux into the soup and stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste,
- Heat soup on low for 15-20 minutes or until hot.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
*Each slow cooker tends to cook at a slightly different speed. Watch new recipes closely the first time to find out exactly how long they take to cook to your liking. You should adjust all crock pot recipes for your slow or fast slow cooker.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 279
Keywords: baked potato soup, healthy potato soup, crock pot potato soup