Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins Recipe: Toasted oats replace flour, bananas & honey provide a bit of sweetness, cocoa & chocolate chips make them irresistibly chocolaty. Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups old fashioned oats (1.5 cups ground)
- 2 tbsp oats (for muffin tops)
- 2–3 large bananas, very ripe (1 cup mashed or 1 cup applesauce)
- 2 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla (pure)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 –4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips (divided into ½ cup portions)
- Preheat oven to 325. Place oats on a baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, stirring once (about 4 to 6 minutes). Let cool to room temperature. (If you are in a hurry you can skip this step and use plain old fashioned oats, however the toasting adds flavor!)
- Place 1.5 cups of oats in a food processor and blend/pulse until they reach a rough, flour like consistency.
- Mash bananas well, they should have no lumps. I use my mixer to mash them before adding the other wet ingredients.
- Add eggs, honey, milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients (including both ground and whole oats) to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Allow these to sit for 10 minutes to soak the oats.
- Fold in approximately 1/2 cup chocolate chips, if using.
- Scoop into muffin tin, lined with muffin wrappers (makes 14 muffins). You can spray the bottom of the liners lightly with spray oil to make the muffins easier to remove from the wrappers.
- Sprinkle muffin tops with reserved oats and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, press down lightly.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 -23 minutes, a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 19.6
- Sodium: 162.7
- Fat: 5.6
- Carbohydrates: 32.7
- Fiber: 2.7
- Protein: 4.4
- Cholesterol: 25.5
Keywords: healthy chocolate muffins, chocolate oatmeal muffins