This recipe makes the equivalent of one 8.5 ounces of corn muffin or cornbread mix (equal to 1-box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix).
- ½ c + ½ tbsp unbleached white flour (2.8 ounces)
- ½ c yellow cornmeal (3.2 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp white sugar (1.1 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (0.6 ounces)
- ½ tsp table salt (0.1 ounce)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (1.1 ounces)
- Whisk together flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Slowly whisk in vegetable oil. Mix until dry mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- If a recipe uses a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix: add the above mix to that recipe.
- How to make corn muffins: Preheat oven to 400F. Combine above mix with 1 egg and 1/3 c. milk. Mix well. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. (Makes 6 muffins.)
- How to make corn bread: Preheat oven to 400F. Combine above mix with 1 egg and 1/3 c. milk. Mix well. Pour batter into greased 8-inch square pan. Bake 20 – 25 minutes.
Store homemade cornbread mix in a plastic bag or lightly closed jar for several weeks at room temperature. You can also freeze the mix for up to 3 months.
The Jiffy corn muffin copycat mix is vegetarian, it uses vegetable oil in place of lard.
How to make Gluten free corn muffin mix: Use gluten free baking mix in place of the flour (try Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free 1-to1 baking flour). *Cornmeal is naturally gluten-free but it is often produced by manufacturers who also process wheat on their machinery, read the label carefully.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of mix
- Calories: 105
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 155.1 mg
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
Keywords: corn muffin mix