Chicken roasted with soy sauce and balsamic vinegar turns into a deliciously moist chicken with a lovely reduction sauce to serve over rice — from marinade to table, all in one pan!
- 2–3 pounds whole chicken legs; wings and thighs attached on bone with skin (about 5 pieces)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Combine balsamic vinegar and soy sauce, stir.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9×13 glass casserole or roasting pan with oil. Arrange the pieces skin-side up in the roasting pan and pour over the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce mixture.
- Allow pieces to marinate for 1/2-2 hours, turning several times. You may also marinate overnight for a stronger flavor, I recommend trying the recipe with a shorter marinade time and working up to the fuller flavor of the overnight marinade (if you would like to marinate overnight, place pieces in a large zip lock bag and pour in balsamic vinegar, soy sauce mixture into the bag, seal and turn to coat. Turn bag several times while marinating, before cooking dump entire bag into roasting pan and arrange chicken pieces skin side up) .
- Cook chicken skin side up for 30 minutes at 400°F. Then lower the heat to 350°F and cook for 10-30 minutes more until juices run clear. While cooking you should occasionally (2 or 3 times) use a spoon or turkey baster to pour some of the marinade from the bottom of the pan over the chicken pieces.
- Remove chicken from roasting pan and place on serving plate, cover with aluminum foil and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- While chicken rests, pour the balsamic vinegar/soy sauce and dripping mixture from the bottom of the roasting pan into a small saucepan and heat on medium high until boiling, allow to reduce until slightly thickened – about 10 minutes.
- You may strain the mixture through a coffee filter or fine sieve before boiling to remove any lumps (this process is purely for better visual presentation of the reduction and does not affect the taste in any way; I skip it if I am in a hurry).
- Serve the chicken with rice, roasted broccoli and the reduction sauce. It makes an excellent topping for the rice.
- Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken
- Calories: 405
Keywords: balsamic soy roasted chicken