Sloppy joes are a kid pleasing dinner! This version packs in multiple servings of vegetables and your kids will never even know!
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large)
- 2 cups white onion, finely chopped (about 1 large)
- 4 cups peeled, grated zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups diced sweet red pepper (about 1 large)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 –15 oz cans tomato sauce (you can substitute 1 can for 1-15 oz can petite diced tomatoes in juice)
- 1 –6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/8–1/4 cup molasses
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1–2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard (prepared, not ground)
- 1/2–1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 20 whole wheat hamburger buns (we prefer small buns)
- Grate and dice all vegetable finely.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tsp of olive oil, onions, garlic and ground meat. Cook and stir until meat is nearly done. Drain and/or rinse meat and return to pan.
- Add vegetables and seasoned salt. Cook until all vegetables are tender and meat is done.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, molasses, honey, Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper and paprika. Stir to combine and heat until bubbly. Taste sauce and add additional 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 tsp salt if needed.
- Enjoy your nutritious meal!
- Serving Size: 1 sloppy joe
- Calories: 241
Keywords: healthy sloppy joes, vegetable sloppy joes, hidden vegetable dinner