I love a good salad; to me a good salad has lots of different flavors and is topped with a delicious decadent dressing. This Healthy Southwest Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing fits the bill. It combines favorite southwest flavors (black beans, green onions, cilantro, and sweet peppers) with a creamy, yet good-for-you avocado dressing.
I love to make Healthy Southwest Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing for lunch. It is also delicious as a side dish.
Need an easy, casual dinner party idea? Make this salad, my Healthy Chicken Tacos and Transforming Corn and Black Bean Salad and you have an excellent Tex-Mex dinner theme. Lay out a buffet with grated cheese, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, diced green onions and your other favorite tacos topping. Provide warm flour tortillas, crispy corn taco shells, tortilla chips and rice then let guest built their own tacos, nachos, burritos or taco bowls. This buffet provides tasty options for all types of diet restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy free, etc.). Mix up some margaritas, chill some Coronas (make sure you have fresh limes) and your dinner party is on!
- 8 cups mixed lettuce I use baby romain and green leaf
- 1 diced green onion or more to taste
- 1 -15.5 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 - 1 red pepper diced
- 1/2 - 1 yellow pepper diced
- Fresh cilantro diced (to taste)
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup plain or Greek yogurt you can also use sour cream
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 3/4 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbsp water
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender and process until smooth (try my mason jar trick and you can store it in the same container).
- Serve salad with dressing and a few crushed tortilla chips.
Tip: The dressing keeps for a week in the refrigerator when covered. It even stays its beautiful creamy green color, amazing since it contains fresh avocado! Try leftover dressing on tacos or burritos.