This easy chicken curry recipe is a family favorite: not too spicy, not too bland. It’s easy to make in the crock pot and is the perfect way to introduce your kids to curry. Try it today!
This post uses affiliate links, they don’t cost you a think but help us bring you tasty recipes. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
This quick chicken curry recipe is also easy to make and can easily be converted to a vegetarian or vegan option by leaving out the chicken. (Replace the chicken with extra sweet potatoes or sweet potatoes and carrots. It is delicious with or without meat.)
Use the Right Spices
One key to delicious curry at home? Using the correct seasonings and spices!
This recipe uses two fresh seasonings (ginger and garlic). Don’t substitute powdered, if you don’t have time to mince your own fresh garlic and ginger look for the convenient jars of garlic and ginger sold in the produce section of the grocery store.
The curry also uses powdered spices including cumin, garam masala.
- Garam masala is a mix of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamon, pepper, and coriander. You can purchase it pre-blended or make your own mix with this easy recipe. Don’t skip the garam masala, it adds great depth of flavor.
- To “wake up” your dried spices saute them in a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil in a small skillet before adding them to the curry.
Crock Pot Chicken Curry Recipe
You can also make this curry in a crock pot, cooking on low for 6-8 hours on low. Combine the ingredients (I use frozen chicken breasts) in a crock pot reserving the coconut milk. 20 minutes before serving dice the chicken and stir in the coconut milk.Print
This quick curry highlights the flavor of sweet potatoes and coconut milk. It can easily be converted to a vegetarian or vegan option by leaving out the chicken.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken (cut into ¾ inch cubes)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes)
- 1 Tbsp minced or crushed ginger
- 1 Tbsp diced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 –15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 –15 oz can coconut milk (not cream of coconut or coconut water)
- 1 tsp salt
- Sauté in a large skillet or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; 1 medium onion, diced; 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- When onions are tender and chicken is partially cooked add: 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- Once sweet potatoes are half in cooked (beginning to get tender), add:1 Tbsp minced or crushed ginger, 1 Tbsp diced garlic, 1 tsp cumin, 2 Tbsp curry powder, 1 Tbsp garam masala
- Stir briefly to combine and allow them to become aromatic in the oil, then add: 1 -15 oz can tomato sauce,
- Stir to combine, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, until chicken and sweet potatoes are very tender.
- minutes before serving stir in: 1 – 15 oz can coconut milk (not cream of coconut or coconut water), Salt, to taste
- Serve with rice and Better Than Take Out Naan.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 3.9
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Protein: 15.5
- Cholesterol: 41
Keywords: easy sweet potato curry, chicken curry
Like my easy recipes? Sign up for my free newsletter below and never miss a thing!