Easy and delicious red enchilada sauce. This simple recipe tastes much better than sauce from a can and takes just 5 minutes to prepare. You’ll never go back to the store-bought, overly processed sauce again!
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp dried oregano (crushed)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 5 cups cold water
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- Mix dry ingredients in a large saucepan until well combined.
- Slowly stir in 1 cup of water while whisking continuously to eliminate lumps. Whisk until smooth .
- Slowly whisk in the remaining 4 cups of water making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until thickened and barely boiling.
- Stir in tomato sauce and heat thoroughly. Do not boil.
- Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
- Optional – If you prefer a mole type sauce replace the cumin with 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Serving Size: 0.5 cup
- Calories: 45
Keywords: enchilada sauce, easy enchilada sauce, homemade enchilada sauce