Need help getting a healthy dinner on the table? Try my quick, no-fuss method to make a healthy Mexican food favorite… Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas! These are the simplest fajitas you will ever make and they taste A-MAZ-ING!
This post uses affiliate links. They don’t cost you a thing and help us bring you creative projects. Read more in Policies & Disclosures.
Dinner Time Confusion
Before we get down to fajitas, let me take a minute to describe a typical weeknight evening at the Bren Did homestead.
(Try to hold in your excitement.)
Spiraling around the kitchen island are two children who should be on their way to swim practice but can’t seem to find their goggles under the pile of junk mail and school papers that annoyingly collects on the counter threatening to be knocked over by my 75 pound German Shepherd who lurks underfoot wanting to be loved by my starving 6’4” husband who walks in the garage door needing to be fed before he get h-angry.
This is usually about the time that I have a control freak meltdown that goes something like…
The goggles are in the swim bin, as always!
You need to put your homework in your backpack!
Has anyone fed the dog?
Will you take a look at YOUR children?
It’s the PERFECT time to plan and cook a healthy delicious meal for the family! Do you sense my sarcasm?
Can you relate?
Crock Pot to the Rescue
The calm in this storm is my slow cooker: the beloved crock pot that has dinner ready for the family and can get us to practice on time, well fed, and happy.
I seriously LOVE the days that I have prepared dinner ahead of time and it is sitting on the counter, bubbling away in that magic pot, just waiting to be consumed.
Throw and Go Recipes
Since my morning routine looks a lot like the scene I described above (with slightly more coffee and a less awake mom), I refuse to make fussy crock pot meals. No searing. No browning. No precooking. I need a recipe that gets everything into the crock pot in five minutes and still has delicious results.
I affectionately call these throw and go slow cooker recipes. Tres Chic, no?
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
This Healthy Slow Cooker recipe has great Chicken Fajita taste: tangy onions, sweet tender-crisp red, yellow and green peppers, and perfectly seasoned chicken breast. PLUS it’s made in one crock pot with no thawing or precooking. Score one for the home team!
The sauce for the fajitas has just three ingredients:
- Salsa – Use your preference of mild, medium or spicy… your fajitas, your level of spice.
- Ketchup – Don’t be scared, your fajitas will not taste like a hot dog cookout. The ketchup adds a bit of sweet flavor to compliment the spicy salsa. You can use store-bought, organic, or even your own homemade version.
- Brown mustard – I know, we’re really out on a limb with this one! Please don’t run away just yet. Brown or Dijon mustard adds a little zip and offsets the tomato flavors in the fajitas. (Your favorite brand is fine, I use this brown mustard.)
Make sure that the peppers maintain the perfect texture by adding them during the last 20 minutes of cooking time. (Crock pot recipes that add the peppers at the beginning of the cooking time can result in slimy or mushy vegetables, yuck!)
This extra pepper cooking time also gives you just enough of a buffer to set the table, warm the tortillas, and make a fresh bowl of guacamole before serving a fabulous dinner.
I hope you try my Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas. It is a simple crock pot recipe your whole family will love. I serve mine with flour tortillas, cilantro, shredded cheese and lettuce. They are also delicious with sour cream, jalapenos, salsa and any other Mexican-food condiments you desire.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 300 minutes
- Total Time: 305 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
A quick, no-fuss way to make this healthy Mexican food favorite. These are easiest chicken fajitas you will ever make and they taste AMAZING! Great Chicken Fajita taste -onions, red, yellow and green peppers, perfectly seasoned chicken breast – made in one pan with no precooking. Simple yummy crock pot recipe!
- 2 – 21/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast ((frozen))
- 1.5 cups sliced onions ((about 2 small onions))
- 3–5 sliced sweet peppers ((green, red or yellow))
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown or Dijon mustard
- Place onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Layer chicken breasts over onions.
- Mix together salsa, ketchup, and mustard. Pour evenly over chicken.
- Cook chicken on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Check to make sure chicken is fully cooked. (There should be no visible pink, internal temperature should be 165° Fahrenheit/75° Celsius.) *
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and slice. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir gently.
- Place sliced peppers on top of chicken mixture in slow cooker and cook on high for 20-40 minutes. (20 minutes for tender crisp peppers, 40 minutes for softer peppers).
- Serve chicken fajitas with fajitas, over rice, or in a salad.
*Each slow cooker tends to cook at a slightly different speed. Watch new recipes closely the first time to find out exactly how long they take to cook to your liking. You should adjust all crock pot recipes for your slow or fast slow cooker.
- Serving Size: 2 fajitas
- Calories: 249
Keywords: slow cooker fajitas, chicken fajitas, easy fajitas, crock pot fajitas
MORE EASY CROCK POT RECIPES
Try these other easy crock pot recipes that are sure to become family favorites:
Like my easy crock pot recipes? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing.
Fajitas are delicious but take so much time. I love that I can “throw and go!” Thanks for the recipe!