Pumpkin Pom Pom Straws are an adorable and affordable craft! A fork, some yarn and a little felt or fleece is all you need to make this fabulous Halloween pumpkin craft!
Spending a lazy afternoon crunched around the kitchen table with my kiddos, some glue, and scissors is my idea of heaven. They love to make fun crafts and I love the quality time we spend together. One simple project we all enjoy is making pom poms out of yarn.
Did you know that you can use a fork to make a pom pom? That’s right, no special equipment needed for this simple Halloween pumpkin craft.
I love THRIFTY crafts that get me something greater than the cost of the supplies.
This yarn pom pom craft has a big payoff: they are super cute non-sugar addition to any fall party. I love the way they dress up my recycled glass milk bottle drink-ware!
Make a Pom Pom Out of Yarn
Have you ever made pom poms out of yarn? It’s easy!
- Cut an 5 inch piece of yarn and thread it though the middle tines of a serving fork. My fork is about 2 inches wide.
- Wrap the yarn 25-40 times around the fork, trying to evenly distribute the yarn and not pulling it too tight. The amount of yarn wrapping depends on the thickness of your yarn.
- Tie the wrapped yarn tightly using the 5-7 inch piece of yarn. Tie again.
- Slide the pom pom off the fork. Cut the looped ends. DO NOT cut the center tie.
- Roll the pom pom in your hands to make it more circular, then trim into sphere.
- Use your pom pom to make a fun craft!
How to Make a Pom Pom Pumpkin
We will now turn our cute little pom poms into a pumpkin straw or pencil.
- Slide the pom pom onto a paper straw or pencil. Make sure to slide it though the center of the pom pom, perpendicular to the tie.
- Cute a 5-inch piece of green yarn.
- Use a drop of school glue or hot glue to faster the yarn to the top of the pumpkin. Make sure to also attach the yarn to the straw. Wrap the yarn around the straw and use a drop of school glue or hot glue to secure the yarn at the top.
- Cut a leaf shape from craft felt or yard, use a drop of school glue or hot glue to secure the leaf to the top of the pumpkin.
- Enjoy your pumpkin straw!
- You can use a pencil in place of the straw to make easy pumpkin pencil toppers.
Pom Pom Straws Cost
I estimate the total cost of each straw to be less than $0.12 — what an affordable craft!
- The yarn was about $4.00 a skein (and have tons of leftover yarn).
- The leaves are made from one $0.35 sheet of green craft felt.
- The paper straws were purchase for $1.00 a pack.
Grab a fork and spend some fun family time making this easy Halloween craft. Check out these other fun pom pom crafts to show off your pom pom making skills.
|Turkey Pom Poms||Fabric Party Hats||Easter Bunny Banner||Cupcake Bookmarks||Bunny Napkin Rings|
Like my easy craft projects? Sign up for my newsletter below and never miss a thing!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!