These naturally gluten free cranberry orange muffins are light, fluffy and loaded with tart, fresh cranberries and sweet orange flavor! The best part… the recipe is made with no refined sugar, no fat and no special flours or hard to find ingredients. Try making these orange cranberry muffins and see how simple and delicious healthy muffins can be!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1.5 cups orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (quartered)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (outer orange rind grated, no white pith)
- 3/4 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking tins with paper liners or grease well. (Use parchment baking cups to prevent the muffins from sticking, no greasing needed.)
- Stir together orange juice and oats in a small bowl and allow to soak for 20 minutes. The soaking time softens the oats and makes a smoother batter.
- Cut the cranberries into quarters, place in large bowl and add maple syrup, vanilla extract, orange extract, orange zest, ginger and cinnamon. Stir to combine and set aside. The soaking time allows the cranberries to absorb a bit of the sweet maple syrup.
- Add soaked oats to blender with banana, eggs, salt, and vinegar. Blend until smooth. (I run my blender on the smoothie setting, stir and scrape down sides, then run on the smoothie setting again.)
- Pour batter over cranberry mixture, sprinkle with the baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch then stir gently until combined. Do not over mix!
- Scoop batter into tins filling nearly to the top. (I use 1/3 cup of batter per muffin.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (A toothpick inserted in the top should come out clean and the tops should be lightly browned. My muffins are perfect at 28 minutes, you may need to adjust for your oven.)
- Allow muffins to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes.
- Cool the muffins completely on a wire rack or counter then store in an air tight container. The muffins will last on the counter for 3-4 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also wrap them well in plastic wrap then seal them in a bag or air tight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 5.7
- Sodium: 137.8
- Fat: 1.2
- Carbohydrates: 15.2
- Fiber: 1.6
- Protein: 2.2
- Cholesterol: 14.5
Keywords: gluten-free, cranberry orange muffins