My kids love mac and cheese, my husband loves mac and cheese, heck even I love mac and cheese. However, many of those box mixes are full of all sorts of mystery ingredients and preservatives that make it a less than desirable choice for healthy eating. I developed this recipe for easy homemade mac and cheese that can be made on the stove top, it’s quick and requires no baking!
I have to admit, my mac and cheese palate has been tainted by years of box made mac and cheese. I wanted a recipe that was healthier, but still satisfyingly reproduced the American classic. What is in that orange powder anyway?
It’s taken me years to settle on this recipe! It has a “secret” ingredient that really adds to the taste. You will never guess what it is….yellow mustard! There is something about the vinegary condiment that completes the cheese sauce.
Easy homemade mac and cheese recipe without processed ingredients that appeals to the the box mix lover from BrenDid.com. Stove top no bake recipe.
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni (white or whole wheat)
- 2 cups milk (I use 1% or skim)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2–1 teaspoons yellow mustard (prepared, not dried mustard)
- 2 cups grated cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella, or American cheese (I like to use a mixture of cheddar, mozzarella with about ¼ cup American)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook pasta according to package directions until slightly hard (a little harder than al dente), drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add flour to butter while continually stirring. Continue to stir and cook the butter and flour until it becomes fragrant, but does not brown.
- Add milk very slowly while whisking butter/flour mixture. Whisk constantly to make sure the sauce does not get lumpy. As you first add milk the sauce will stream and will be very thick (like mashed potatoes) but it will slowly get thinner and smoother as you add more milk and continue to whisk.
- Cook sauce over low heat until thickened. Stir in mustard and slowly add cheese, stirring continually until melted.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in noodles. Allow the noodles and sauce to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving, the noodles will finish cooking in the hot sauce and absorb some of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Options: Add 8-16 ounces of frozen vegetables while cooking the noodles. We like corn, peas or mixed vegetables. It’s an easy way to get extra vegetables into your diet.
Make extra sauce and freeze it to defrost and mix it into hot noodles the next time you want mac and cheese!
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 331
- Sodium: 302.1 mg
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.2 g
- Protein: 15.5 g
- Cholesterol: 49.1 mg
Keywords: homemade macaroni and cheese
Mac and Cheese for One
Want to make mac and cheese for one? Try my easy microwave mac and cheese recipe!
Like my easy mac and cheese recipe? Be sure to rate it below!
Bren Did Newsletter Subscribers Get Access!