Homemade caramel is a delicious sweet treat. This easy version uses only sugar, butter, vanilla, cream, and salt to make a creamy caramel sauce. Vegan caramel recipe also included.
- 1 1/2 cups refined granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or refined coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Use a heavy duty, uncoated 3-4 quart saucepan that is the same size as your burner ( I use a stainless steel saucepan). Measure all ingredients and set aside (this is very important as the last steps more quickly).
- Pour sugar evenly across the bottom of the pan and top with water.
- Heat over medium high heat until the mixture begins to boil. Do not stir.
- Watch closely for the color of the boiling mixture to change from clear to a golden (this takes about 10 minutes).
- Watch for the sugar to deepen to a slightly brown color. You may smell the scent of caramel but do not want to smell burning.
- Remove the sugar and water mixture from the heat once it reaches the brown color. (This is the color when it is not boiling.)
- Quickly stir in the remaining ingredients using a wooden spoon. The mixture will bubble and boil as you add the ingredients, keep stiring until it is completely smooth.
- Makes a little over 1 cup. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Homemade Caramel Corn Recipe
- 16 cups air popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup of kernels)
- 1 cup homemade caramel sauce
- Pop popcorn in a air popper. Sort through and remove all unpopped kernels.
- Pour hot caramel sauce over the popcorn a little at a time.
- Stir the popcorn gently until it is well coated with caramel.
- Spread the caramel corn on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees for chewy caramel corn or 10 minutes for crispy caramel corn.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 210
Keywords: Homemade Caramel Corn