Decorating cookies with kids is a fun holiday tradition. Learn the easy cookie decorating technique that uses less sugar and makes decorating holiday treats with kids simple and less messy!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 – 8 oz can evaporated milk, for painting
- Food coloring, natural
- white sugar, for dusting
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs int the butter and sugar one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Gradually add dry ingredients mixing slowly until fully absorbed. Cover dough, and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters.and place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Pour a tablespoon of evaporated milk into a small container and add a few drops of food coloring, stir to combine. Repeat for each color you wish to use.
- Use a paint brush to paint the cookies.
- Sprinkle lightly with white sugar.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are lightly brown. Remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 95
- Sodium: 28.1 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 17.9 mg
Keywords: painted sugar cookies, cookies for kids