Butter Chicken Curry is a popular curry for kids. It’s a mild and delicious curry that is easy to prepare and is a great way to introduce your family to Indian food.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 white onion (chopped)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs (diced into small pieces)
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¾ tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp ginger paste or minced ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Sauté in a large skillet or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat: 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 green onion, finely chopped; 1/4 white onion, chopped;
- When onions are tender add: 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced into small pieces
- Once chicken in cooked, add: 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted), 2 teaspoons lemon juice; ¾ tablespoon garlic minced; ½ tablespoon ginger paste or minced ginger; 2 teaspoons garam masala (if you can’t find it in the spice aisle you can find an easy recipe here); 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder; 1 teaspoon chili powder; 1 teaspoon ground cumin; 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional; 1 bay leaf
- Stir briefly to combine onion, chicken and spices and allow them to become aromatic in the oil, then add: 1 -15 oz can tomato sauce; 1 pinch salt; 1 pinch black pepper
- Stir to combine, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is very tender. 10 minutes before serving stir in: 1/4 cup plain yogurt; 1 cup half-and-half
- Five minutes before serving combine: 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and stir into curry.
- Heat until slightly thickened. Remove bay leaf then serve with rice and Better Than Take Out Naan.
Crock Pot Adaptation – You can also make this curry in a crock pot.
Combine all ingredients in a crock pot except for the yogurt, half and half, cornstarch and water. Cooking on low for 6-8 hours*. (I use frozen chicken breasts when making the curry in the crock pot.)
40 minutes before serving remove the chicken and dice, return to crock pot and stir in the yogurt and half and half.
Combine cornstarch with ¼ cup cool water , stir until no lumps remain, then stir into curry. Allow the curry to thicken for 10-15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
*Please note all crock pots cook at slightly different temperatures, you should adjust the cooking time to your specific crock pot.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 3.2
- Sodium: 273
- Fat: 8.3
- Carbohydrates: 6.2
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 49
Keywords: butter chicken curry recipe