This Barley, Beets, Gorgonzola Salad features two under-appreciated ingredients: beets and barley. Beets are delicious when roasted but also shine as a pickled vegetable in the winter months. Barley, while generally used as a soup or stew ingredient, adds 4 grams of protein and fiber to this tasty salad.
- Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup roasted beets or pickled beets, diced (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese (crumbled)
- 1 cup cooked pearl barley (room temperature)
- 4 cups salad greens
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a lidded container and shake or stir to combine. Set aside.
- Toss the barley with 2 Tbsp of the vinaigrette and allow flavors to combine while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Chop all vegetables as directed.
- Toss celery, radishes and green onion in a large bowl with barley.
- Place one-half of the salad greens on a large plate or salad bowl and top with 1/2 of the vegetable/barley mixture.
- Sprinkle each salad with one half of the gorgonzola
- Serve with extra vinaigrette on the side.
- Calories: 650
Keywords: barley beets gorgonzola salad