Monkey bread is a delcious breakfast treat but it has lots of sugar, butter and white flour. This recipe makeover reduces the sugar and butter while adding whole grains. It’s delicious!
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm skim milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups ground oats (old fashioned oats ground to flour in a food processor)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup applesauce (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2–2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
Cinnamon Caramel Coating
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 4 Tbsp skim milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 cups apples (peeled and grated (2 ½ ))
- 1/2 cup walnuts (finely chopped (optional))
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 ounces Neufchatel (reduced-fat cream cheese) (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the yeast, warm milk, warm water and honey in a small bowl. Mix together to dissolve the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- In a separate bowl combine the ground oats, white whole wheat flour, applesauce, and eggs.
- Stir in the yeast mixture and set aside in a non-drafty location for 15 minutes (this allows the oatmeal and wheat flour to soften).
- Add 2 cups unbleached flour and salt. Mix with a dough hook until well combined.
- Knead with a dough hook for 7 minutes, dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and become soft and supple. Add the extra ½ cup of flour if the dough is too wet.
- Place dough in a large bowl greased with coconut oil. Cover and let rise until doubled (I place mine in the oven.)
- While Dough rises: peel and grate apples. Stir in honey, cinnamon and walnuts. Set aside.
- Make the coating mixture: Melt the coconut oils and combine with the milk, sugars, honey vanilla and cinnamon. . Set aside.
- Put dough and apple mixture into the mixer, layering dough then apple mixture then dough then apple mixture.
- Knead with dough hook until well combined. Set aside.
- Grease large bundt pan. Break off 1 ½ inch diameter balls of dough. Roll the pieces the best you can and dip into the coating mixture. This will be a messy step!
- Place the balls in the greased bundt pan. Fill to about 60% full. Do not overfill. Roll and place extra dough in an cake pan pan.
- Pour remaining coating mixture over dough in bundt cake pan.
- Cover bundt cake pan with a clean towel or plastic wrap, place on lined cookie sheet, and let rise until doubled. (I place mine in the oven.)
- Bake at 350 degrees on a cookie sheet for 35-40 minutes. Check at 35 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately invert on a plate.
- Whip together icing ingredients and drizzle over warm monkey bread.
- Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 421
Keywords: apple fritter monkey bread, apple monkey bread