This tomato sauce recipe uses only tomatoes, garlic and olive oil as a base with a hint of salt, pepper and oregano to highlight the tomato flavor. It also has one secret ingredient…. red wine vinegar! It can be used on pasta, as pizza sauce or to make lasagna.
- 16 cups roma tomatoes (( washed, cored, and quartered – or 4 -28 ounce cans))
- 10–14 cloves garlic ((roughly diced))
- 4–6 tablespoons olive oil ((good quality))
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp red wine vinegar
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic. Stir garlic until it becomes fragrant and soft but does not brown.
- Add tomatoes and stir.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat until tomatoes are soft (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or in batches using a traditional blender until smooth. Return to pot.
- Stir salt, pepper, oregano, and red wine vinegar into the sauce.
- Heat the sauce until it begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low. Simmer and stir the sauce for about 20 minutes until it is heated thoroughly and slightly reduced.
- Serve sauce over pasta or use in your favorite dish. Cool to room temperature before freezing.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 92
Keywords: tomato sauce recipe, crockpot tomato sauce