This easy orange chicken crock pot recipe combines the sweet flavors of orange juice and honey with mild Asian ingredients for a dinner the whole family will love. Serve with rice and vegetables for a healthy and tasty dinner that takes just minutes to prepare.
There’s Something About Drumsticks
Whenever I roast a whole chicken for dinner my kids snatch up the drumsticks as soon as the platter hits the table. You’d think I never feed them based on their caveman behavior.
What is it that makes drumsticks so appealing? I love drumsticks because they stand up to all-day slow cooking and are an affordable dinner choice. My children like the cute kid-size portion and the convenient handle. Whatever the reason, they are a kid and mom favorite.
Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
This easy crock pot recipe for orange chicken will have everyone reaching for the drumsticks. It combines the sweetness of orange juice and honey with the classic Asian flavors of ginger and garlic. It’s the perfect chicken marinade that also turns into a dipping sauce.
Don’t worry, the flavors are very mild! No one will be overpowered by this kid friendly recipe.
THROW AND GO
I affectionately refer to this type of crock pot recipe as throw and go. You simply add the ingredients to the slow cooker in the morning and let it simmer slowly while you work.
I make long grain white rice to serve with the orange chicken after we get home from car pool and sports practice. As the rice cooks I pop the drumsticks into the oven to crisp the skin and thicken the cooking liquids in a tasty sauce. Bing, bang, boom… the perfect weeknight dinner.
This easy orange chicken crock pot recipe has a sweet and tangy flavor the whole family will love. Serve with rice and vegetables for a healthy dinner that takes just minutes to prepare.
- 3 lbs drumsticks (skin on, about 12 drumsticks)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp crushed ginger (crushed or minced)
- 1/4 tsp crushed garlic (about 2 cloves thru a garlic press)
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Place drumsticks in the slow cooker in a single layer.
2. Combine all other ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
3. Pour sauce over drumsticks.
4. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
5. If you prefer crispy skin (as pictured), line a cookie sheet with foil and place drumsticks on the cookie sheet. Save liquid in crock pot.
6. Cook drumsticks at 425 degrees until they are golden and crispy, about 10 minutes (keep a close eye on them so they do not burn).
7. Strain liquid from slow cooker into a small saucepan. Heat sauce over medium high heat.
8. Combine 1/4 cup of water with 1 tbsp of cornstarch and stir to remove all lumps. Whisk cornstarch mixture into hot liquid. Cook and stir until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.
9. Serve drumsticks with rice, sauce, and vegetables.
More Easy Crock Pot Recipes
I love crock pot dinners that require little to no prep. They are perfect for busy days and help keep healthy eating on track. Try these other easy crock pot recipes that are sure to become family favorites:
Like my easy crock pot recipes, sign up for my free newsletter and never miss a thing!
Subscribe to the Bren Did Newsletter to Get Access